Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,771 Posts
i like stans sealant.
big jug goes a long ways.
i've even put some in some clincher tubes

not sure if the FMB's have a removeable valve core. You can't tell looking at your pair???
there should be a little flat spot on the smaller threaded portion that allows you to unscrew the core with some needle nose pliers

for non removeable cores... i take some sealant in a art and craft type syringe, use a small piece of flex plastic tubing and screw it onto the valve. (just took a tube to the hardware store to size it right) then gently squirt it into the tube.

· Registered
635 Posts
gregdogg62 said:
Hi All
I have an FMB tubie with a slow leak. What is the best sealant to be used in these tires? Also, I am new to tubies, do the FMB's have removable valve cores?

Thanks
How slow is your leak? Most likely the FMB's have latex tubes & they will lose pressure. Uusually its like 5 psi or so overnight, sometimes more/less.

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
If you have FMBs, don't pour sealant in them. Replace the tube. There's a place in Florida that puts new tubes in tubies. I think you can even send them a tube. They use butyl but latex are better (what FMB and DeGast use). So find a latex tube of the correct size and send it down to them.

Perhaps someone can help out on what that re-tubing place is called?

Or you can learn how to replace your own tubes. I hear it's not too scary. You just have to be able to sew a little.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DPCX said:
How slow is your leak? Most likely the FMB's have latex tubes & they will lose pressure. Uusually its like 5 psi or so overnight, sometimes more/less.
I thought it might be natural loss of air. I have a set and the one tire hardly loses any air, while the other will lose most of its air over a couple of weeks.

· Registered
269 Posts
Second on the Stan's sealant

I run it in my Challenges and my Dugasts (which have a latex tube) without any problems. We have enough thorns around here, that it really cuts down on the flats. I've tried the Tufo, but it seems too thin and it kind of dries up fast. I don't use much, about 2/3 of a capful. I use a syringe I get from the local Grange Co-op that is made for giving animals medicine. It fits right in to the valve stem.

· Registered
367 Posts
FMBs do not have removable cores :( Ran a full season last year without a flat so I do not have any experience with sealants in FMB tubulars. Send Francois an email for the best reply. Zank or Molly may have some ideas as they also have experience with these tires.

· Registered
158 Posts
Ron at Tire Alert was great to work with. He had to fix one of my FMB tires due to a valve core problem. The one recommendation I would make when working with him is that you send him a latex tube, if you are certain that is what you want used. I had some confusing exchanges with him via e-mail and I was under the impression a latex tube was going to be used; however, that is not what happened. I'd go with him again, I'd just send him the tube I want used. Right now, I don't know where to get them.

I think Francois has started using tubes with removable cores. Some of my FMB tires have them, some don't. I think he used to not use removable cores, then started doing so more recently - check with him to confirm that.

Also, another sealant to ponder is Flat Attack. That company's website is: http://www.flatattack.com/index.html. I don't have personal experience with it, but I would like to try it, or, hear if others have had any experience with it. Also, it's an older method of tire protection, but you may want to try the Aquaseal stuff that Cyclocrossworld sells or Javelot's tire protection for the sidewalls. It's just a thin latex coat, but it might save some headaches (and added bills) down the road.

· Registered
38 Posts
gregdogg62 said:
I thought it might be natural loss of air. I have a set and the one tire hardly loses any air, while the other will lose most of its air over a couple of weeks.
All my Dugasts lose most of their air over a couple of weeks. Should be the same with FMB and is typical for latex tubes. I'm rather surprised about the other one hardly losing any. Then again, for mine the time it takes differs a lot from tire to tire.
As long as it holds the pressure well for the day everything is alright I'd say.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.