Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Eric and I'm not new to the world of biking but I am new to the road bike scene, I come from a background of BMX and MTB riding, but have not done either in almost 10 years so............

My family (brother, mother, father) are all avid cyclists, and since my motorcycle wreck in late June and my knee injury/surgery that resulted from the wreck they have convinced me that getting back into cycling will be great recovery for my knee and my general health.

So below is what I purchased (don’t get too excited about telling me it’s not the best bike in the world, I already know it’s not) my plans are to use the bike for exercise and casual commuting/touring, and for that I think it is perfect. Its needs some fenders, and some lights and a hand full of other little things but all in all I am very happy with it.

Mercier Kilo WT5

·
Registered
212 Posts
Congrats on the bike! A motorcycle high-side last year convinced me I needed to spend more time on the bicycle and less on the motorcycle. Now most of my commutes are via bicycle and my knee injury is coming along nicely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sa7nt said:
Congrats on the bike! A motorcycle high-side last year convinced me I needed to spend more time on the bicycle and less on the motorcycle. Now most of my commutes are via bicycle and my knee injury is coming along nicely.
I will ride the motorcycle again, but it won’t be anytime soon. I am less than 4hrs out of a pretty extensive knee surgery, so it will be several weeks before I can even think about sitting on the new Mercier.

Anyone have any good recommendations for good commuting gear and any good sites that specifically cater to that type of riding.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Go to Hot deals forum. Lots of good sites with great discounts. I don't know of any commuter specific though. You may find through recovery that you like your bike more and your motorcycle less. Just saying... it can be pretty contagious. Just ask your family.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vontress said:
Go to Hot deals forum. Lots of good sites with great discounts. I don't know of any commuter specific though. You may find through recovery that you like your bike more and your motorcycle less. Just saying... it can be pretty contagious. Just ask your family.
I hear ya on the contagious bit, I can already feel the bug getting under my skin. What I can say for sure is I'll be riding the bicycle for the next 12 months or more due to recovery and the cost of repair to the motorcycle.

·
Registered
212 Posts
texas2wheelin said:
I will ride the motorcycle again, but it won’t be anytime soon. I am less than 4hrs out of a pretty extensive knee surgery, so it will be several weeks before I can even think about sitting on the new Mercier.

Anyone have any good recommendations for good commuting gear and any good sites that specifically cater to that type of riding.
What do you mean specifically by commuting gear? Are you looking for bags? Clothing? What you're looking for dictates where you go to shop.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the world of road riding.

Making an assumption that you weren't fitted at a reputable LBS, I strongly suggest doing so before you begin riding. Given your knee issues (and stated goal of strengthening you knee thru cycling), you don't want to chance reinjury due to bad fit.

For the type of riding you describe, a standard fitting will do, because you're primarily interested in getting the saddle adjustments right, but (as long as you're close to the right frame size) they'll also be able to taylor your reach and height requirements. All in all these adjustments will go a long way in keeping you comfortable and motivated to keep riding.

Lastly, consider a cadence computer. Wired Cateye Astrale 8's can be found for under $30 and (given the importance of maintaining adaquate cadence to save the knees) is IMO a very worthwhile tool for anyone new to road riding, but especially important for anyone with knee issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PJ352 said:
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the world of road riding.

Making an assumption that you weren't fitted at a reputable LBS, I strongly suggest doing so before you begin riding. Given your knee issues (and stated goal of strengthening you knee thru cycling), you don't want to chance reinjury due to bad fit.

For the type of riding you describe, a standard fitting will do, because you're primarily interested in getting the saddle adjustments right, but (as long as you're close to the right frame size) they'll also be able to taylor your reach and height requirements. All in all these adjustments will go a long way in keeping you comfortable and motivated to keep riding.

Lastly, consider a cadence computer. Wired Cateye Astrale 8's can be found for under $30 and (given the importance of maintaining adaquate cadence to save the knees) is IMO a very worthwhile tool for anyone new to road riding, but especially important for anyone with knee issues.
I was guided by my brother and father (both are very very knowledgeable in the road bike world) when I ordered my frame size, and I will have the basic set-up done at my LBS when I am able to get back on my feet. While I'm down, I will be acquiring a few necessary items like a cadence computer, but I've got at least two weeks to do those things.

Thanks for the welcome and tips guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sa7nt said:
What do you mean specifically by commuting gear? Are you looking for bags? Clothing? What you're looking for dictates where you go to shop.
Bags, racks, clothing.............I don't intend on doing any kind of racing, so I'm out on all the spandex and clipless pedals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts