Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to spring for a new ride. Currently have a 2005 Giant TCR C1. I've narrowed my choices down to a FOCUS Ilzalco Pro 3.0, Fuji SST 2.1, or a Fuji Altimira 2.3. All have Ultegra or equivalent components. I usually put about 2,000 miles per year and average pace is 17-18mph with some hills thrown in. I'll also use this for Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons. Any one have any advice or thoughts on which one you'd go with?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
any thought on getting a dedicated tri bike instead?

Going to spring for a new ride. Currently have a 2005 Giant TCR C1. I've narrowed my choices down to a FOCUS Ilzalco Pro 3.0, Fuji SST 2.1, or a Fuji Altimira 2.3. All have Ultegra or equivalent components. I usually put about 2,000 miles per year and average pace is 17-18mph with some hills thrown in. I'll also use this for Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons. Any one have any advice or thoughts on which one you'd go with?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought about it but I only do a couple tri's a year and their short distance. The one I do close to home is hilly so its not even suited for a full tri bike.

·
Registered
391 Posts
do a search for Izalco... I've posted praises a few times about how much I love mine. I had a 2012 3.0 that cracked, and Focus had a new frame to me in three days under warranty (bottle cage boss cracked the carbon ever so slightly). I now have the 2012 1.0 frame on Sram Force and it's still amazing. I raced two collegiate seasons with the Izalco, and I've put down a few thousand miles of fun and it still feels as good as the day I got it. My only gripe of the 2012 Izalco was the wheels it came with- I thought they were quite a compromise and way too heavy. the '13 isn't so bad.

As far as using it for tri's, I think you'd be ok with it. I bought "down" a size on my Izalco sinceIi wanted it to be more aggresssive, and I could easily throw some aerobars on it and knock out a sprint or olympic. Personally tho, I do enough tri's that I bought a dedicated bike for it, so I can't say how great the Izalco really would be.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Out of the three, the Focus looks more appealing to the eye. If you're either a 51cm or a 56cm, REI has a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 @ $3000.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
REI won't sell c'dale via internet and only a handful of their physical stores carry the brand.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Out of the three, the Focus looks more appealing to the eye. If you're either a 51cm or a 56cm, REI has a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 @ $3000.
I personally prefer theses....The Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, The Fuji Gran Fondo 1.0, The Jamis Xenith Race and the Jamis Xenith Endura Elite models would be my choices.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The 2013 Fuji SST 2.0 LE is on sale right now at Performance. Down to $2299 from about $3800. Plus it's triple points weekend so you get 30% of that back in store credit. That's an almost $4k bike for the equivalent of about $1600. If you were gonna pull the trigger on one of those now would be the time. My riding buddy just plunked his money down for one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ended up ordering the FOCUS Ilzalco Pro 3.0. Read a lot of reviews and didn't see any that weren't great. SRAM Force group and I got a fantastic deal (have a friend in the industry). I already have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels so I'll put those on when it arrives.

·
Registered
223 Posts
congratulations!

i bought the Pro 1.0 a couple of months ago and its a ripper, haven't changed a thing on it not even the saddle. can't believe its so comfortable, could easily be used as a crit bike or on a sportive....a great all round bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 283993
Here's the new ride. FOCUS Ilzalco Pro 3.0. I've put about 150 miles on it and couldn't be happier. Stiff but forgiving. Climbs like a sherpa. Can't figure out how a bike can handle and accelerate like a Porche but ride like a Buick. Did a hilly 32 mile ride the other day that I usually struggle to get to 17.5 average but killed it with an 18.1 average.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.