Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I've seen lots of Bike Fridays on century rides and week long tours so sure, they are "ok" for 100 mile rides.

Only you can answer the second question.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Ok? Maybe. Depends on your fitness, tue ride and what you hope to accomplish.

It will be heavier, slower, less aero than a Venge/Tarmac or any other high end race bike. But if you are in good shape then you can finish it. Don't expect to podium and don't expect to get invited into a lot of pacelines.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Depends on the bike, the rider, and other factors. Not all folding bikes are the same. As MB1 said, plenty of people have done centuries and other demanding rides on quality machines like the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket.

Heavier? Heavier than some bikes, but lighter than a lot of them. Bike Friday says their Pocket Rocket Pro weighs under 20 pounds. I suspect the small frame and wheels make it more aero than a typical road racing bike. The riding position can exactly duplicate a normal bike. Obvously there are some handling differences, but these bikes are certainly made for and capable of such rides.

I'm not sure what the pro kit has to do with it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I should add that with the 20 inch wheels my high end tops out at 96 gear inches. 53/11.

This would probably slow some people on this board down. Friday has a special group made by Shimano that can compensate. It's not compatible with any other group so I elected to go with straight Ultegra. I can get it fixed at any shop wherever I travel

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So with same tire width and same power output it is safe to say a good folding bike like the friday pocket rocket will go the same speed as a regular road bike. Thanks.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
The only bike fit for a Gran Fondo is a $10,000 carbon bike with 88mm carbon wheels and beer cap bar plug ends. Anything else is just, well, unseemly.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
So with same tire width and same power output it is safe to say a good folding bike like the friday pocket rocket will go the same speed as a regular road bike. Thanks.
On perfectly smooth pavement and with freshly greased hubs it will be the same as a standard road bike of equal weight with equal gearing. Of course on rough pavement the smaller wheels have more resistance and the hubs spin faster so with a rough bearing it will matter more.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
At the Santa Fe century yesterday, I saw four Bike Fridays. they seemed to be going OK for the first half to include the majority of the climbs. The second half when we had a 30mph cross wind, they had their hands full and didn't seem like they were having fun. The guys on recumbents, to include a tandem recumbent, were plain miserable in the cross wind for fifty miles.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Just here recently, I got totally dropped by a petite looking lady on some kinda Dahon foldable, while I was almost maintaining the 20 mph speed limit on my hybrid, near a school zone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.