Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to New Zealand soon, and I want to take a bike to tour with, but the airline fees are outrageous. Just the SF to LA leg is $150 each way - and Qantas probably charges too. So I'm considering buying a Bike Friday. My plan is to move around by bus to interesting places and then tour for 2 or 3 days - nothing major. I don't want to rent because I hope the price of the bike will pay for itself in savings over time.

So my question is: do folding bikes really allow you to escape the airline fees? I noticed that some airlines charge for oversized baggage and others for bikes. The case in the photo I found looks larger than your standard suitcase. Maybe use the travel bag instead?

I'd like to hear your experiences.

Thanks

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
I think my bf case is a little smaller than that and I've never been charged... however, it's been a couple yrs since I've flown w/ it. they can get you on weight too, if you stuff it w/ clothes and whatnot

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
all the airlines are charging for all checked bags now, unless you're a high-mileage status member. so yeah, that bag in the pic will get a charge. AA I think is $15, United $20 but double check.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
robwh9 said:
I'm going to New Zealand soon, and I want to take a bike to tour with, but the airline fees are outrageous. Just the SF to LA leg is $150 each way - and Qantas probably charges too. So I'm considering buying a Bike Friday. My plan is to move around by bus to interesting places and then tour for 2 or 3 days - nothing major. I don't want to rent because I hope the price of the bike will pay for itself in savings over time.

So my question is: do folding bikes really allow you to escape the airline fees? I noticed that some airlines charge for oversized baggage and others for bikes. The case in the photo I found looks larger than your standard suitcase. Maybe use the travel bag instead?

I'd like to hear your experiences.

Thanks

As long as you keep it under 50lbs(70lbs International), a Bike Friday suitcase will be charged just like regular baggage. No oversize fees

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I've heard that on intercontinental flights you're allowed oversized baggage, but I've never tried. If you get a bike friday or Ritchey or whatever, make sure the dimensions of the case are smaller than whatever airline you're flying on.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Creakyknees said:
all the airlines are charging for all checked bags now, unless you're a high-mileage status member. so yeah, that bag in the pic will get a charge. AA I think is $15, United $20 but double check.

SW doesn't charge for checked bags, at least the first

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
kbiker3111 said:
I've heard that on intercontinental flights you're allowed oversized baggage, but I've never tried. If you get a bike friday or Ritchey or whatever, make sure the dimensions of the case are smaller than whatever airline you're flying on.

usta be you could take a full sized bike case (trico etc) on international flights for free... doubt that's the case these days

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Airlines will charge oversize if the case exceeds 62 inches (H + L + W). Overweight is anything greater than 50 lbs. Usually, if a piece of luggage is both, they will charge you both.
This will be in addition to the fee that some airlines are charging for checked bags.

The Ritchey case and the standard 26x26x10 S&S case are within this limit, just don't exceed 50 lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts