Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
What do you want to do with the bike, commute? tour? that will drive your choice.. also do you have a budget in mind?

·
Banned
748 Posts
I recently bought a Tern C7 for about 50% less than the Dahon IOS S9. The tern has 20" wheels, caliper brakes and 8 speeds, the Dahon has 24" wheels, disc brakes and 9 speeds. I bought the tern for transportation between the office, the apartment and the job site, about a 5 mile loop in a foreign city and I like that it folds and can easily be stored in the office or taken in the taxi. The 8 speed is sufficient for the city and minor hills.. I would definitely need more gears (as many as I could afford) for hilly areas. The major differences between all folding bikes are wheel sizes, gears, weight and price of course. The C7 can easily be dis-assembled and stuffed into a standard 31" suitcase, a real bonus. On the top end, Brompton (SP?) makes a titanium with 20 speeds. In short, the tern is a great little bike and well appointed for the price.. We took a little +25 mile excursion and by the end the bike was un-comfortable, however on short 5 to 10 mile trips,, it was great..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Timely thread. Looking for a folding bike to put on a boat so I can get around and also get some exercise when I get to a Harbor. Any recommendations for a bike that you can ride hard for an hour?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to use it to commute, and sometimes use it on the weekends for a ride, budget would be between £500-600, and thanks for the reply to you all! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts