Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Leftist rebel
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching for a Tour de France wine guide and found nada.

I like to drink a wine from the region they are racing through while watching the late coverage. It's hard to find French wines here in California, but i'm headed out soon to the local grocery store to see what I can see. It's relatively easy to find wines from the Loire and Pay d'Oc, Bordeaux, etc, but not the Massif Central...

Looks like they are leaving the Loire region tomorrow.

Any wine connoisseurs have suggestions for the rest of the days?

I did find this: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?p=923551
and it's pretty cool.

·
Registered
315 Posts
my mates and i have a TdF drinking game...

every time phil and paul talk about "the transponders on the chain stay of the bicycle" we take a sip of the beverage...

every time phil and paul mention "natural breaks" we take a sip of the beverage...

not looking forward to the mountain stages because every time phil and paul mention "<insert rider here> has fallen off the back" we take a sip of the beverage...

any other suggestions for our drinking game?

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,124 Posts
Paul: Thor is "a beast of a man" - Drink
Paul: "Big" George Hincapie - Drink
Phil: "the gap is still coming down"

You'll be toast in no time! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Every time Phil says "leakygas" for Liquigas=drink

·
Leftist rebel
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm terribly afraid to go into Costco. My Safeway has about 100 linear feet of Californian wines, but only about 20 linear feet of wines from the rest of the world. Our little local wine guy in town has mostly California wines too.
Hard to find wines from the southern Pyrenees. Sure you can find Loire, Burgundy, etc, but smaller producing regions is tough. We have that problem with Spanish wines too.
Btw, I don't really know much about wine. In reading all this back to myself, I sound like an asz...

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Why does it have to be French? You can drink a red Burgundy from France, or pop open a pinot noir from somewhere else. It's the same varietal (grape). A white Burgundy is just chardonnay. Sure, the French make them a little different, but it's close enough.

A Bordeaux is usually a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc. A white Bordeaux is a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and some other varietals. You can find plenty of those here in the USA.

When you get into the Alps, go with Rhones. Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, Marsanne, Roussane, etc. You can buy a Châteauneuf du Pape from France, or you can buy a grenache blend here. Okay, not exactly, because a real Châteauneuf du Pape requires 13 different varietals, but hey, close enough!

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
In the spirit of the Tour, starting next week I will stop showering and start smoking. I will live in a tent about halfway up the hill on a local cycling hotspot. I will paint the names of local riders on road using a special paint that will last for about a year. Between riders I will grill some kind of meat and throw back a bottle of French wine. When a group of riders approaches I will run next to them pouring water over their heads.

I will do all of this while wearing a speedo and a cape.

I am basing all of this on what I saw while watching the TTT of the Giro last year. France is the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.