Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Fondriest is still in business ? I have been getting the runaround from Fondriest direct in Colorado since November. The paint started to peel off the front of the head tube and i was told this should not be a problem to replace the frameset.I have also tried to call Fondriest in Italy and the phone just rings and also they never reply to e-mails i send. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Well...I tried ringing the number on their official website. I got the typical "this number doesn't exist tone". My feeling is they're in trouble and probably looking for new investors or partners.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I can't help thinking Fondriest ran themselves into the ground. It all started maybe 5 years ago when they lost their Div. 1 team sponsorship but increased their prices to astronomical levels ($4K+ frames when everybody else' top end frame was still less than $3K). I believe they also got rid of all dealers at some point. Then next thing you know, their own website and Coloradocyclist began blowing frames out at 40% retail, and even lower on ebay. I couldn't help wondering what was going on. It's odd to say the least.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Fondriest7 said:
Does anyone know if Fondriest is still in business ? I have been getting the runaround from Fondriest direct in Colorado since November. The paint started to peel off the front of the head tube and i was told this should not be a problem to replace the frameset.I have also tried to call Fondriest in Italy and the phone just rings and also they never reply to e-mails i send. Any ideas ?
It seems their local distributors have liquidated all their stock or are in the process. The place I bought my Carb Level from doesn't have any new Fondriest frames. I had a problem with my headset (missing O-Ring - not their fault - long story) and Fondriest Direct in Colorado sent me a new one lickity split. That's the last contact I had from them but up until that point the service from the local shop and Colorado was exemplary.

If true it's a real shame because the frames are top notch. Although I agree w/ Elviento in that they over priced for this market. They pushed this "world's finest/most advanced" frames marketing angle and priced accordingly for the snob appeal. Sort of a "Ferrari of bicycles" tack. I don't think the business model worked as planned especially since that market is already crowded by the far more established Pinarello and Colnago brands. But hard to say without any new info. They have been developing a tremendous amount of new chi-chi carbon product these last couple years so maybe this is a transition problem in America.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Excellent question. I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a Fondriest frame from Colorado Cyclist. I wrote Fondriest an email inquiring about warranty info as well as geometry (since CC was of no help whatsoever). I have yet to get any response. :(

By the way, I'm still looking for geometry on this frame...if anybody happens to have it....

I'm not confident with my tape measuring skills (at least not enough to go on record).

I'll let you know if I hear anything. Good luck.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Fondriest7 said:

maybe they are just not being imported into the US any longer?
http://www.fondriestbici.com

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does seem as though they have disappeared from the face of the earth. It really is a shame as there frames and paint job's are beautiful and my Carb Level rides like a dream.If i hear anything i will keep everyone informed and if anybody has any idea's please let me know. Here is a picture of bike.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Don't Europeons take an hour lunch?

Is it possible with all the orders for carbon fiber being bought up by Boeing and another europeon aircraft manufacturer that Fondriest and a lot of many other bike companies are having difficulty acquiring carbon fiber for their production runs? This might be slowing everything way down. I'm willing to bet the price for carbon fiber parts will raise much like a barrel of crude oil. You have a beautiful bike.

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Italian CYCLING PRO magazine...

...has an article about them for the March 2006 issue and the models they offer. Wonder what's going on?

E' IN EDICOLA CYCLING PRO di MARZO!

>>>>L'intervista / Fondriest la bici, le idee e le scelte
di Giulio Porcai

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Thommy said:
Is it possible with all the orders for carbon fiber being bought up by Boeing and another europeon aircraft manufacturer that Fondriest and a lot of many other bike companies are having difficulty acquiring carbon fiber for their production runs? This might be slowing everything way down. I'm willing to bet the price for carbon fiber parts will raise much like a barrel of crude oil. You have a beautiful bike.
Nothing wrong with an hour for lunch and a couple of hours of siesta in the afternoon, and 6-10 weeks vacation a year. You can't live on money alone :)

Anyways, in Europe the situation is pretty much the same. Sales have shrunk to a non-existent level for a long time. Since several months dealers are blowing out stock at cost....and still no one is buying.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Fondriest7 said:
It does seem as though they have disappeared from the face of the earth. It really is a shame as there frames and paint job's are beautiful and my Carb Level rides like a dream.If i hear anything i will keep everyone informed and if anybody has any idea's please let me know. Here is a picture of bike.
She's a beaut. What year is she?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I purchased it in January ,04 from Fondriest Direct in Colorado (aka P4 Group/Peloton sports). They always had great service until November of 2005 when i called with my warranty issue. I was assured all would be taken care of but all of a sudden they no longer would answer there phone or e-mails.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
merckxman said:
...has an article about them for the March 2006 issue and the models they offer. Wonder what's going on?

E' IN EDICOLA CYCLING PRO di MARZO!

>>>>L'intervista / Fondriest la bici, le idee e le scelte
di Giulio Porcai
Intervista means interview, so I asume they're interviewing Maurizio on the bikes, the ideas and the choices. Sounds interesting. :)

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Fondriest7 said:
That's the exact frame I got. What happened to the Mizuno fork?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The left dropout came unbonded after about 1 year. They replaced it with no problem but it took about 6 week's to get so i purchased the Easton EC90. I liked it better than the original fork so i sold the Mizuno.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i downloaded it from their website when i got my top level...if you have that or the carb level it should be the same. i'll send it from home or, if i forget, email me and i'll send it to you.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have had a similar experience to that of many people on this post. when i bought my top level (used on ebay), i cracked the steerer tube. they didn't have anything long enough, but they were willing to send me a new fork that had been cut already for free. i thought that was pretty good customer service!

but i also would agree that, while the older alum or alum/carbon frames were pretty sweet, i'm not sure that the carbon frames at the prices they were asking did it for me...

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Well, this isn't good news. I own 2 of them, a P4 and a Top Level. Both have been fantastic. Seems like a good company, but their retail prices were ridiculously inflated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To all Fondriest Fans...

To all Fondriest fans:

Well, the only thing I can say is, poor Will. This guy has busted his hump to bring Fondriest to the US and make them a success. And, I think his customer service was second to none. I presume most would agree up until recently.

Meanwhile, despite the US orders in the pipe-line, Italy can't get their act together to meet demand. Fondriest Bici has lost control of their business. There have been US investors actively seeking to push money into the brand, open Fondriest Boutiques, etc. But no go...Italy won't have it. Hard headed Italians.

So the situation is, Peloton (formally P4) is still waiting for fill orders while all dealers are liquidating product on the uncertainty of the brand, especially one of their self professed biggest fans and supporters, this guy in Australia (check out eBay). Keep in mind; these dealers mostly buy on credit and are on the hook for their inventory.

Actually, I think now is great time to purchase a Fondriest since their selling them at wholesale. Despite a few delusional sellers I've seen on eBay,i.e. '03 Status Carb for $700...get real!.

When you think about it, Fondriest makes one of the best products and issues are far and few between. I've owned three and never had a problem. And, in light of the rumor, the bike shop needs to step up and warranty the bike if there any issues. Their risk is minimal.

My thought is, if the shop is willing to stock a brand, they're putting their brand name behind it and endorsing the product. If they’re reputable they’ll stand behind the product, regardless of what happens with the parent company.

So if you experience any problems, and if Fondriest Bici ends up going away, then the shop needs to step up and take care of you. If they don't, it's time to shop someplace else.

If you bought from Fondriest Direct, send a letter or email to Fondriest Bici and tell them to get their act together. Enough vacation already…If you make a commitment to enter the US market, you have a responsibility to all of us who bought your product.

But that's just my opinion...

fondiryder

1 - 20 of 34 Posts