Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday I did a pretty big ride. 97.56 miles, 8,046 feet of climbing. 7:34 in the saddle.

Today, I just ate my normal amount (I am on a diet to lose 1-2 pounds a week) and did a 1:10 spin.

I was wondering if my muscles will repair enough with that amount of food intake (about 1700 calories) and if I should have taken the day off from riding. (my legs were not too sore. the first 20 minutes spinning was hell, but they loosened up and felt fine after that)

Short version: What is your food/training for the day after a long maximum effort ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Depending on how much you weigh and how hard you were actually working, as well as your metabolic rate and other things like that, you can expect to burn anywhere from 4000 to more than 6000 calories in a workout like that. I'm a little confused about your timeline but I hope you ate more than 1700 calories the day you had the 98 mile ride otherwise that is pretty unhealthy.

If you feel pretty good the next day there is nothing wrong with a quick spin, but in my opinion, you need to eat some calories for recovery. Like quite a few - starving yourself does not help you lose weight.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Increase slightly but the biggest benefit from extra calories happens within the 15-40 minute window (some say 15-30 min).. Your muscles will literally act like energy vacuums and suck up nutrients at a greater rate during that time. After that they'll absorb what they need a little more slowly. Getting the needed protein and carbs is essential to feeling better the days following.

Spinning the day after is actually one of the best things to do. Active recovery is better than lazy recovery in most cases. Stretching after the ride helps significantly as well.

For me I drink Accelerade during long rides and I eat fig bars.. 1 every 15 minutes or so. A constant intake of mixed calories helps offset the good ole bonk. After the ride I suck down a large glass of water/drink mix and try to eat something high in protein and carbs. I then shower and get my stuff cleaned. I then continue drinking more water and "try" to eat healthy the rest of the day. Nothing too exact or difficult I suppose.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Not quite right

iliveonnitro said:
Realize that, while planning for recovery, your body can only digest ~350Cal/hour (during exercise). The rest stores as fat. 350Cal as soon as you get home and spread out the rest over the next few hours.
Actually, your body can ABSORB only about 350 calories per hour during exercise (a bit more if you eat real food containing a mix of carbs) so it does no good to eat more. Any excess above that does NOT store as fat unless it is still sitting in your gut after the exercise is over and it results in a calorie surplus. As long as you are in calorie deficit, you will not be storing any significant fat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know if I did that type of ride on a sunday, I would not be doing any intensity or duration until at least thursday. I would have taken monday off, and rode easy (under 1 hour) tues and wed. Just to give you an idea, my ride this thursday was 4 hours, almost 70 miles and ~4500 feet of climbing, which is slightly pushing my fitness boundaries but the entire ride was at my endurance wattage. So I took off monday, rode easy today, and then hit it again tomorrow (wed). Alot of times tiredness or soreness doesnt set in until 24+ hours after the end of the ride, so be careful. It sounds like you pushed your limits.

PhysioJoe

·
Registered
262 Posts
i do very hard days back to back such asa double century with a fast paced club ride the next day, one after another and so on. I eat as little processed foods as possible-easier to digest, that way the body can put its energy to the pedals instead of breaking down the boxed and bagged "food".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts