Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent two months overseas, from mid January through mid March.

I was staying on board a sizeable ship, where meals were provided with locally obtained ingredients - beef, chicken, fish, fresh produce, and RO filtered water. People complained about the food being bad, and sure, we had some things that were easy made into the butt of jokes, but the truth is, the food was largely made from scratch with locally obtained ingredients. That meant meat and eggs with no hormones, grass fed beef, free range chickens, etc. They were buying this stuff from the local farms.

It took me a month being back to realize that I now feel like ****. I unknowingly performed an experiment of sorts on myself.

Time to pay some closer attention to where we buy our food, because the grocery store stuff ain't cuttin it.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I'm on the fence about organic produce, though I do like the idea of less pollution.

But farm-raised/humane meat is definitely the way to go. Shame it's so cost-prohibitive; it's hard to get my husband on board 100%, despite all the logical arguments.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
This is why I like the local farmers market, but sadly it only runs from May to November. I've thought about enrolling in a CSA where I can get fresh vegetables and meats delivered to a centralized dropoff. I have a coworker who is a part of one, and he and his wife get more than enough each season.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
This is why I like the local farmers market, but sadly it only runs from May to November. I've thought about enrolling in a CSA where I can get fresh vegetables and meats delivered to a centralized dropoff. I have a coworker who is a part of one, and he and his wife get more than enough each season.
We did a CSA for a few years. It was nice. A woman in our neighborhood coordinated it. We would go to her house weekly to pick up, "our share."

It challenges one to cook with ingredients/produce you might not normally buy. The biggest downside is that when certain things are in season, we got way too much. Mostly tomatoes and squash. Like grocery bags of tomatoes. Could be good if we were into canning or something.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've kicked around starting a garden. My parents had one and we always had a ton of fresh stuff. But the problem is, I have two black thumbs. I'd have to find something that does well on it's own because sure as **** I'd kill it. I've been known to kill entire lawns just by mowing.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
We've kicked around starting a garden. My parents had one and we always had a ton of fresh stuff. But the problem is, I have two black thumbs. I'd have to find something that does well on it's own because sure as **** I'd kill it. I've been known to kill entire lawns just by mowing.
Yeah it's hardly worth us trying to grow tomatoes and such, since we have farmers' markets and a good produce section at the supermarket.

Found a potato sprouting in the compost the other day, so I stuck it in a huge pot of dirt as an experiment. Funny how garbage grows on its own in the freakin' compost pile, dark, tossed around and abandoned, yet the stuff I lovingly plant, feed, water and put in the sun couldn't be bothered to live.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
One of the reasons I like to fill my freezer with meat from the woods hunting every year; much better health wise. I would like to say the same thing about fishing but some waterways are not as great as what they used to be pollution wise.

·
Fresh from the china shop
164 Posts
Plus 1 on the CSA.
My wife and I joined a couple of years ago, and I can't wait for the deliveries to start back!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
When I'm across the pond for more than a day or two, I find that I only have a bowel movement every 2-3 days. Back home, you can set your clock by the "regularity" of 15 minutes after the first sip of morning coffee. :D

Have to think that food plays a role in that, and theirs is better than ours.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
When I'm across the pond for more than a day or two, I find that I only have a bowel movement every 2-3 days. Back home, you can set your clock by the "regularity" of 15 minutes after the first sip of morning coffee. :D

I'm thinking you have that backwards. "Regular" is much better, IMO.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts

If I don't poop after three days, I get worried. You want to go at least once daily.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If I don't poop after three days, I get worried. You want to go at least once daily.
Yeah. I get constipated when I travel whether it be oversees or just out of town for work. It has nothing to do with the food but rather long periods of sitting during the travel, departure from my normal routine, and perhaps nerves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts