Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation, im 5'10, 140lbs, not trying to lose weight really, (maybe a pound or so of fat would be ok) just trying not to gain any. Is there any point cutting back on pasta, bread, rice on days I dont ride? Whenever I try to limit the complex carb intake a bit I cant get the thought of pasta and bread out of my mind. I think im just wasting my time trying to limit what the mind desires.

I guess this question is for the riders who at thier ideal weight and dont want to gain unnecessary fat.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Integration over time

Erotomaniac said:
Here is my situation, im 5'10, 140lbs, not trying to lose weight really, (maybe a pound or so of fat would be ok) just trying not to gain any. Is there any point cutting back on pasta, bread, rice on days I dont ride? Whenever I try to limit the complex carb intake a bit I cant get the thought of pasta and bread out of my mind. I think im just wasting my time trying to limit what the mind desires.

I guess this question is for the riders who at thier ideal weight and dont want to gain unnecessary fat.
Weight loss or gain is about integrating total calories burned and total calories consumed. Whichever is higher will drive your weight up or down. This integration takes place over weeks and months, though obviously it the the sum of minute by minute energy consumption and expenditure. So, there is no reason to limit things on non-riding days as long as your long term numbers stay in the right relative position, which for you means stasis.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Weight loss or gain is about integrating total calories burned and total calories consumed. Whichever is higher will drive your weight up or down. This integration takes place over weeks and months, though obviously it the the sum of minute by minute energy consumption and expenditure. So, there is no reason to limit things on non-riding days as long as your long term numbers stay in the right relative position, which for you means stasis.
That sounds reasonable enough. As a general rule, I try to match my consumption with my caloric expenditure each day as a way to ensure that my 'long-term numbers' stay balanced. I try to avoid eating foods with a high glycaemic index (eg pasta) on non-training days as they induce an 'insulin spike', which will make you more hungry, (and therfore more likely to overeat) and instead try to fill up on low-fat protiens. p retty common sense.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Well, maybe not

dr pabst said:
try to fill up on low-fat protiens. pretty common sense.
Actually, protein is not the greatest source to refuel yourself. Plus, you really only need 0.7 gm protein per lb. of body mass (1.5 gm/kg) so there's a reasonable limit to how much protein to take in, and it's WAY below your calorie demands. There are lots of low glycemic index fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. No need to avoid carbohydrates, and doing so is actually bad for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Actually, protein is not the greatest source to refuel yourself. Plus, you really only need 0.7 gm protein per lb. of body mass (1.5 gm/kg) so there's a reasonable limit to how much protein to take in, and it's WAY below your calorie demands. There are lots of low glycemic index fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. No need to avoid carbohydrates, and doing so is actually bad for you.
You're absolutely correct.

I think I misspoke a bit. My intetntion was not to trumpet the benefits of ingesting mass quantities of protein. What I meant to point out is that protein has a high satieity (meaning that it fills you up and makes you feel satisfied), and so helps avoid the temptation to overeat. In regards to the carbs, I agree that they shoud'nt be totally avoided, I just feel a large portion of your carbs should be ingested post-workout when possible.

Anyway, sorry if my first post was garbled or confusing.

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
I try to eat less on days I am not exercising. Friday is generally my rest day, and I skip out on granola (which I usually eat with yogurt as a morning snack), and also try to eat a healthier/more lean dinner, or smaller portions.

Otherwise I'd be eating 2500+ calories and not burning any through activities, so the additional fuel isn't really necessary IMO.

I still eat clean/healthy and have about 50%+ of my daily calories in carbs, especially since I usually do long rides/races on Saturday's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.