Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, when I went to the Dogfish Head brewpub last night, I thought there was a remote chance that I'd wind up hurling. But I really figured it would be because of what I drank, not what I ate.

Girlygirl and I went to the beach for a one-day micro vacation yesterday. We spent a couple of hours on the beach, took a nap at the hotel, then went out to the DFH brewpub for dinner. Food was good, beers were excellent (I had something called Sah'tea, which I think is brewpub only). An early night, but a great day.

I woke up at around 3:30am, hurled, then proceeded to shiver and generally want to die until dawn. We suspect the sauteed onions on the pizza I had. Nothing like a three-hour car ride home this morning with a raging fever.

I still feel like ass. Ugh.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That would be extreme food poisoning if you got a raging fever from it. Most kitchens at pub/brewing places are not the most sanituary. I went to brewry this saturday night and had thin crust pizza along with some hef beer. A couple slices of the pizza on one side tasted very funny. I suspect they didn't clean one side of the oven plate for the pizza cleanly.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
tjjm36m3 said:
That would be extreme food poisoning if you got a raging fever from it. Most kitchens at pub/brewing places are not the most sanituary. I went to brewry this saturday night and had thin crust pizza along with some hef beer. A couple slices of the pizza on one side tasted very funny. I suspect they didn't clean one side of the oven plate for the pizza cleanly.
Ingesting as little as 20 living cells of salmonella can make you sick beyond the mushy squirts and a little nausea. Fever is pretty much SOP.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
I've had severe food poisoning many times (India, Malaysia, Belize), and it's my experience that middle of the night onset of symptoms comes from poisoning at lunch. You think it's dinner because that's what you're barfing, but whenever I trace the likely source, it was the lunch. Food poisoning from dinner gets me as I'm waking up the next morning.

·
Registered
614 Posts
as a rule of thumb I always wash down a dodgy meal with a can of coke/pepsi...seems to keep me safe :)

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Living over here I follow the 3 hour rule imparted to me by my doctor. Eat, start your watch and wait. This is why I only wear chronographs.

Worst case ever (and I have eaten some extreme crap here) was Starbucks in the Shanghai Mart office building. I had hot chocolate. I watched them take the spoon out of the basin and stir it. I knew that was stupid but my self-preservation genes did not kick in. I drank it.

Over the course of the next 2 hours I felt like I was slowly getting the flu - disoriented, slightly off of plumb, getting warm around the edges. Went out for hot pot at lunch in order to increase the volume of returning food and liquid.

Went back to the hotel after lunch and 3 hours and 10 minutes to the moment I completed the cocoa, all hell broke loose. It took me a solid 24 hours to be able to get up, get dressed and go out for some air. 48 hours to consider food again.

Other times - almost as bad due to a meat lovers pizza in Roswell (frickin' aliens) and rancid Yak stew in Nangatse.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
push fluids and TRY to eat something.....nothing worse that the dry heaves.............

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let's see...

The fever broke last night around 3:30, after having hung between 100 and 101 for 24 hours. I'm still oscillating between 98.6 and 100, but I feel way better--I even managed to eat some soup for lunch. I'm still home and mostly reading and napping, but I'm pretty sure I'll survive after all.

I'm still blaming the dinner, BTW--it was about 6 hours from the end of the meal to the first onset of symptoms (puking), so that sounds about right.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
We had a family reunion last week and everyone from out of town wanted to eat at this ethnic place in uptown Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market) that I'd been at before and had a "so-so-experience" but figured it would be okay.

Everyone else got food at various places and we all ate in the communal dining area together. Made sense. Where I ate I wondered about after eating that it felt a little undercooked but owed it to coming back to the table a couple hundred feet away.

Within about 3 hours I felt like I wanted to crawl under a rock somewhere - visiting the bathroom frequently. That night was supposed to be the big family dinner, what I'd eaten was lunch. So it was around 2 in the afternoon when I ate and the family dinner was 7 I think.

By night I almost felt worse because I was shivering (high temp I'd wager) and the whole family including people I'd never met before now knew me as "the pale looking guy who went back out to the car because the sound of people talking was giving him a migraine and making friends with the bathroom by name". I eventually laid down in the back seat of the car and tried to sleep.

The next day was bad, I ate as little as possible but drank liquids and would eat super mild stuff.

I still felt like I had a lead weight in the pit of my stomache for a couple days after and it wasn't until midweek that I felt like myself again.

I don't often get FP but when I do it seems memorable.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
there's a reason I try to eat as little as possible when I cannot supervise the food production (or my wife is making it).....or it is coming from some other TRUSTED source

Of course, as a result I weigh like 127 soaking wet ....

edit: aliensporebomb, so chicken tartar is not a good idea????

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
here's another take: it's the fastest way to lose weight you ever tried.

·
In Blue America
436 Posts
I think what everyone here describes is legit, but I find the topic interesting because I hear a lot about food poisoning at work.

I'm tempting fate by saying this (because fortunately I have not experienced this level of food poisoning), but I think a lot of the FP cases I hear about are complete BS.
I don't doubt bikeboy or anyone else posting here, just my co-workers.

People here call in sick on a Monday due to FP, then show up Tuesday good as new. But I'm thinking that you would feel the effects for quite awhile if it is truly FP, and you wouldn't be the only person who ate at the same establishment to suffer. One guy is really pushing it, and after his third call-in with FP in as many months I wonder if he is perpetually hung over, taking a long weekend, or if we are supposed to believe that he dines at the Raw Poultry Cafe every other Sunday. Food poisoning seems to be like migraines. It's the perfect excuse for for the slackers here, because it is self-diagnosed and people recover in less than 24 hours, plus you get immediate sympathy. Call in and say you don't feel well and everyone rolls their eyes and chuckles. Mention food poisoning and it sounds a little more serious, yet managers don't ask too many questions for fear they will get too much puking detail.

Ok, having said all this I am bound to run into some e coli contamination on a salad tonight...

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Most cases of food poisoning take 24 hrs to get sick. You should look deeper into what you ate and where you ate before posting. But get better soon.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
a different take: google "norovirus" and/or "cryptosporidium"

both are highly contagious, transmissible and common in public places, and neither are technically foodborne. Norovirus can be either airborne or by transmitted via contact, and is commonly known as "stomach flu" or the "winter pukes"; it can run like wildfire thru primary schools / daycare centres, and projectile vomiting and fever are the usual M.O.

Crypto' is waterborne and frequently picked up in summer from swimming in public pools / spas. I've had crypto, potentially twice. The first time I got it from the pool at our apartment complex, most recently (I think) this year at Winter Park from soaking in the hot tub. Both times I had diarrhea for a week, and felt continually nauseated for 3-4 days steadily (never to the point of hurling, but felt really crappy) and had absolutely no appetite for 10 days or so. The nausea and "feeling like crap" stuff was never that severe, but took in both cases weeks to completely go away.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
It could be non-food related. Get tested for Ebola.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
MikeBiker said:
It could be non-food related. Get tested for Ebola.
the cure for ebola is a wooden box

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
food poisoning sucks, hope you get over it sooner than that one time I had it. Took over a week!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The one time (knocks wood!) that I had salmonella, it took a good 72 hours to kick in, and another 3 days or so before I could function normally. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

Bikeboy, feel better soon!

·
Registered
855 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
a different take: google "norovirus" and/or "cryptosporidium"

both are highly contagious, transmissible and common in public places, and neither are technically foodborne. Norovirus can be either airborne or by transmitted via contact, and is commonly known as "stomach flu" or the "winter pukes"; it can run like wildfire thru primary schools / daycare centres, and projectile vomiting and fever are the usual M.O.

Crypto' is waterborne and frequently picked up in summer from swimming in public pools / spas. I've had crypto, potentially twice. The first time I got it from the pool at our apartment complex, most recently (I think) this year at Winter Park from soaking in the hot tub. Both times I had diarrhea for a week, and felt continually nauseated for 3-4 days steadily (never to the point of hurling, but felt really crappy) and had absolutely no appetite for 10 days or so. The nausea and "feeling like crap" stuff was never that severe, but took in both cases weeks to completely go away.
I never get into a community or public hot tub, jacuzzi or the like as they are literally petri dishes for a ton of diseases. A friend of mine came down with a skin disease from a condo association hot tub, and a bunch of others came down with sinus infections, gastro-intenstinal illnesses and other mystery infections. They guy with the skin infection was still fighting it a year later when I transferred to another command and lost track of the guy.

The moral of the story: don't become someones biology experiment and stay out of public hot tubs, aka human stews.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,751 Posts
Been there!

I had suspect beef brisket sub at Quizon's the day before the Solvang Century. I wanted grim death to come take me away for the next 24 hours. Needless to say, I missed the ride and was out the entry fee in the process.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts