Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
dagger said:
How does a whole Pro Tour team get food poisoning? I am suprised that there isn't more control and monitoring of what the team eats during a stage race.
I think that food poisoning is very common with everyone, it's just that the stage rider's immune system is so shot that it takes very little to succumb. - TF

·
Registered
450 Posts
strange

TurboTurtle said:
I think that food poisoning is very common with everyone, it's just that the stage rider's immune system is so shot that it takes very little to succumb. - TF
Well, I honestly can't imagine that their immune systems are shot, this isn't the end of the 2nd week of a GT, it occrued after stage 2. But food poisoning, the whole team is gonna get it most likely, they're all at the same dinner table.

Was Chef Wily there?

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
all it takes is one bad piece of produce

contaminated veggies, fish, meat and since they all eat the same thing BANG.
kinda like when someone gets food poisoning at a Restaurant the odds are good someone else did too. Now limit the menu items for everyone and the odds further increase.

·
Banned
657 Posts
As a competitive bodybuilder I can tell you if I train all year for a show I won’t eat anything I have any doubts about before a show. It’s not that hard to bring your own food or cook the **** out of it if you have fresh meat. Never eat raw anything in foreign countries. Cook your pasta & meat to boiling (water counts too) for 10+ minutes & you kill most bacteria & protozoa. It may not be the rare filet mignon you love so much but you won’t get sick. Tip: don’t touch your mouth or nose after opening a door, etc. Use the new antibacterial gels on your hands after washing before eating. Basically you need to isolate yourself from all possible evil microbes. Not fun but just part of the game.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
venus said:
As a competitive bodybuilder I can tell you if I train all year for a show I won’t eat anything I have any doubts about before a show. It’s not that hard to bring your own food or cook the **** out of it if you have fresh meat. Never eat raw anything in foreign countries. Cook your pasta & meat to boiling (water counts too) for 10+ minutes & you kill most bacteria & protozoa. It may not be the rare filet mignon you love so much but you won’t get sick. Tip: don’t touch your mouth or nose after opening a door, etc. Use the new antibacterial gels on your hands after washing before eating. Basically you need to isolate yourself from all possible evil microbes. Not fun but just part of the game.
and how do you do that from february/march till september/october? Isolate yourself when riding more than 20000miles a year is kinda difficult.

edit:

Glad to hear the bacteria content is so much lower in food in the US than the rest of the world btw....

·
Banned
657 Posts
den bakker said:
and how do you do that from february/march till september/october? Isolate yourself when riding more than 20000miles a year is kinda difficult.

edit:

Glad to hear the bacteria content is so much lower in food in the US than the rest of the world btw....
Believe me standardized US fast food can make you sick. It's not US food is lower in contaminants, just most citizens are somewhat resistant to them by living here forever. You maintain control by cooking your own food in any country. Use Clorox to wash kitchen surfaces after cutting up fresh foods. That is just common sense. Can you say salmonella & giardia? These bugs will f*** you up for a long time with severe diarrhea & vomiting. No way you can ride through some of these infections.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
den bakker said:

edit:

Keep in mind those guys are on the road - almost all the time! So if you want fresh groceries, you need to rely on whatever is available locally, which might vary from spot to spot. Even with a professional team chef, this stuff happens. Ever travelled to a new place and got diarrhea from water? Locals in Mexico develop immune system to fight it, but visitors get poisoning. Same thing can happen on the road - even if you are extra careful.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
den bakker said:

edit:

It's not the food, it's those foreign doorknobs! :) TF

·
Banned
657 Posts
If you ride for a pro team I would hope there is some quality control on your food. If I got sick much on a tour I would insist on replacement (or education) of the team nutritionist/cook. It’s as simple as that. This is not rocket science.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
55x11 said:
Keep in mind those guys are on the road - almost all the time! So if you want fresh groceries, you need to rely on whatever is available locally, which might vary from spot to spot. Even with a professional team chef, this stuff happens. Ever travelled to a new place and got diarrhea from water? Locals in Mexico develop immune system to fight it, but visitors get poisoning. Same thing can happen on the road - even if you are extra careful.

And mexicans get diarrhea from our water.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Did I miss something? When did who get it? :confused:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
botto said:
you don't get out much do you? :rolleyes:
You can't be too careful with them foreigners, them's always looking to shove their raw, dirty knobs, err, ehh nevermind. ;) :eek: :rolleyes:

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
i assume the OP was referring to Savodelli's case of the trots in Romandie.

Apparently he was eating someone's raw foreign knob, or maybe it was a broodje amerikaan? ;)

rogger said:
Did I miss something? When did who get it? :confused:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
botto said:
i assume the OP was referring to Savodelli's case of the trots in Romandie.

Apparently he was eating someone's raw foreign knob, or maybe it was a broodje amerikaan? ;)
I thought the rest of the team didn't suffer the mushy squirts, they must have wisely shunned the knobs of evil, or at least they didn't swallow. :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
While I doubt this is the case here, sometimes GI infections can be caught from the road. Sometimes rain will wash traces of manure from the farm fields onto the road and get sprayed up by tires when riding on wet roads. This gets in your mouth (very small amounts of E.coli, etc) and voila! you have the Hershey Squirts.

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
Asiago said:
But food poisoning, the whole team is gonna get it most likely, they're all at the same dinner table.
Not necessarily. Last year my wife and I took a backpacking trip in Peru. The next to last night, my wife and one other person got sick but noone else did. We all were eating the same food (organized trip) and drinking from the same water supply.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Eh...? What kinda strains of Escherichia Coli are you talking about dude? Sure about that "very small amount"- thingy. I thought they mostly die when they hit your gastric juice. Problem occurs when you don't have much hydrochloric acid left, like at the end of the meal. Then you just have to have that extra bit of ice cream,neatly contaminated with, okay E.coli and you're shitting your pants. ;) But then again, are riders stuffing themselves at once, or do they eat pretty much all the time in the evening?

If it was the water, it could've been a virus as well which usually takes 1-2 days to cause symptoms; norwalk virus, often causing outbreaks aboard cruise ships. I found that on wikipedia, hooray for wikipedia!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.