Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a food processor. What can they do that my blender can't do? Do I need both? Or just a better blender that can handle non-liquid stuff better?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I have both, thanks to a food processor hand-me-down from my sister.

I use it to grate large amounts of cheese, slice veg, finely chop veg (like mirepoix), chop nuts, and cut the butter into pie crusts and biscuits. You can also use it to cube veg, but I almost never bother. It helps that I have all the available disks, again thanks to my kitchen gadget-maniac sister.

Can't do any of that, except maybe the nuts, with the blender.

Blender is mostly for pureeing soups and sauces around here.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bikeboy389 said:
I have both, thanks to a food processor hand-me-down from my sister.

I use it to grate large amounts of cheese, slice veg, finely chop veg (like mirepoix), chop nuts, and cut the butter into pie crusts and biscuits. You can also use it to cube veg, but I almost never bother. It helps that I have all the available disks, again thanks to my kitchen gadget-maniac sister.

Can't do any of that, except maybe the nuts, with the blender.

Blender is mostly for pureeing soups and sauces around here.
what would you use for making something like pesto?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
what would you use for making something like pesto?
Probably the blender, since you want it fine, and you don't need to make a huge amount. The FP will do it fine, but it's better with larger quantities.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
I have a mini food processor, a blender, and an immersion blender. I use the FP for pesto, sauces, salad dressings, etc. The blender is almost exclusive for mixed drinks and smoothies. The immersion blender is what I use for soups. Works well enough to blend most everything while still allowing some nice chunnks. I like the consistency and its so much easier than taking things out of the pot, into the blender, then back into the pot in batches.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Qstick333 said:
I use my FP for shredding potatoes among other things. It's a quick and easy way to make homemade hashbrowns etc...
I haven't done that in a long time. They're so incredibly good too...

I've only done pesto in a processor but that should work fine in a blender. I use 'em both but lately the blender more often because of my soup fetish. Both my blender (won a Waring in a work contest) and Cuisinart (wedding present cash) are over 10 years old - pays to buy good ones.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
kykr13 said:
I haven't done that in a long time. They're so incredibly good too...

The key is to remember to squeeze the water out of them after shredding. I like to fry a bit of bacon and add onions or shallots, salt pepper etc... then add the potatoes in the bacon fat. After frying for 10 minutes, flip the concoction and stick the pan in the oven for 15-20 minutes...mmmmm

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
You asked a fine question here BJ2. I've always been wondering the same thing and we've only got a blender and also a dry blender (not sure if that's counted as a food processor).

And, I was thinking of making some pesto.

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I don't have a food processor. What can they do that my blender can't do? Do I need both? Or just a better blender that can handle non-liquid stuff better?
As Andrea mentioned, the FP does doughs. It will make bread and pasta dough (and no need whatsoever for the plastic Cuisinart "dough" blade). It also does better than a blender at thick pasty stuff, such as hummus, various dips, etc., which even the best blenders strain under. The blender tends to whip more air into things, since they run at higher speeds, which can be a good thing (think pureed soups, or blender mayo, if you must.) And of course, mixed drinks of the umbrella-wearing variety are best made in a blender, if only for style points.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.