Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys eat some energy bar, or something with a plastic(or other material) wrapper, what do you do with it when you finish? I don't want it to be all sticky inside my jersey pockets, or elsewhere. And I don't want to litter either. I know you will all say just find a garbage can and toss it, but I don't want to stop my ride. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

AKK

·
half-fast
7,403 Posts
Not to be a wise guy here, but I don't eat sticky food on the bike. Banannas, fig newtons, and that's about it.

Fig newton ziploc bag goes in the handlebar bag from where it came, and the bananna peel goes in the roadside ditch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use Gu and dont have a problem with sticky inside my jersey from the empty wrappers. Stuff em in and when you do stop make sure you throw em away. We have a pretty nice trail here by me that follows an old railroad track. All paved and is 40 miles round trip. There is a LBS right on the path at the 10 mile marker. I stop there grab some water, take 5 then do the last 10 to the end and flip a U. When I get back to the LBS it was a 20 mile ride so I stop refill my water and maybe grab a Gu. Then head back to the car from there.
If your concerned with the sticky mess keep a small ziplock with you for your garbage, makes it easier.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
The sticky washes out. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Fold up the bar wrapper so the inside side is on the inside when it's in your pocket.

Save your bar wrapper during the ride and put your used gel packets in it. That way they won't leak gu into the jersey pocket.

But if you get some bar or gel remnants in your jersey, it'll wash right out.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Aeroryder said:
Its still kinda gross, especially in expensive jerseys. You know?
After it washes out, it's not gross anymore, you know ;-). My jerseys get pretty gross from my sweat on a long ride, but after I wash them, they're fine.

Wait til you crash and get blood on it - not to mention holes in it. Then you won't worry so much.

Seriously, it's just sugary stuff. It washes away completely.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
JCavilia said:
After it washes out, it's not gross anymore, you know ;-). My jerseys get pretty gross from my sweat on a long ride, but after I wash them, they're fine.

Wait til you crash and get blood on it - not to mention holes in it. Then you won't worry so much.

Seriously, it's just sugary stuff. It washes away completely.
+1. One of my jersies has blood on it. The one I used today (blue) was white with salt by the end of my ride (50 miles). Jersies are meant to be worn and torn, not put in a showcase.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Aeroryder said:
Its still kinda gross, especially in expensive jerseys. You know?
Nah, it's not gross. It's possibly a little sticky (not really bad) and washes right out. Believe me, that's very low on the list of "gross". I guess you've never had babies in the house :) Same difference whether the jersey is "expensive" or "cheap". No big deal.

If you really can't stand to put an empty packet inside your jersey pocket, buy a gu flask type thing (several options) and put your gu in that. Frankly, that's what I always use anyway and I mix the gu with about 1/3 water (use hot water to mix) and it's much easier to eat on the go. I also pre-unwrap my powerbar(s) so I don't have to mess with wrappers on the go. This is for a ride where I don't plan to stop at all. Usually I just take a short 1 minute break and eat and deal properly with the wrapper.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Chocolate GU doesn't wash out........ learned that this past weekend. Didn't quite get all the gooy goodness from my preride Chocolate Gu and put in the back jersey pocket like always and it left a brown patch on the white part of the jersey. Oh well, its clean and ready to go again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.