Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, while at wags' crib (really sweet might I add!) after our group ride, Mrs. wags made grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and that got me thinking- that's one of the foods I could live on.

So, here's my list:

Mac & Cheese (with jalapenos, cayenne pepper and mixed vegetables to complement stuff)

Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

Fish Tacos. (Ok throw in beef and chicken as well coz I absolutely love tacos)

Cheeseburger (double from McDonald's)

Steak (well, maybe not but I sure won't turn one down that often)

Aglio Olio Pasta (or the variation with shrimp, chicken etc. I love this easy meal)

Pesto Pasta (whatever type - simple alfredo base or with chicken. Both work fine)

Mac & beef (in the tomato based sauce)

To throw in an Asian flavor that I like :

Rendang (beef or chicken) with Rasam (some Indian kinda soup).

I could probably live off these as my menu for many, many, many months and not have anything else.

In fact, I could very well eat Fish tacos for a few days straight without any problems. Made in the same way too.

So, what foods do you guys hardly ever say no to (snacks don't really count I guess) or could (heck, maybe do) live on?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How on earth did I forget PBJs.

Yup, add that to my list too.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I read somewhere that most people only eat a small number of foods anyway. I'm guilty - there's maybe 10 foods that make up 90% of my calories.

Spinach, broccoli, salmon, milk (2%), eggs, oatmeal, bread (whole grain), tuna, rice and beans, cheese. Throw in some condiments and that's my typical week, with maybe a pizza or pasta on the weekend. And the occasional PBJ.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creakyknees said:
I read somewhere that most people only eat a small number of foods anyway. I'm guilty - there's maybe 10 foods that make up 90% of my calories.

Spinach, broccoli, salmon, milk (2%), eggs, oatmeal, bread (whole grain), tuna, rice and beans, cheese. Throw in some condiments and that's my typical week, with maybe a pizza or pasta on the weekend. And the occasional PBJ.
That's probably true since we usually tend to stick to the stuff we really like or something to that effect.

I mean, when my mom makes Indian food, it's usually the same kinds that I love - curry (beef, chicken, lamb), briyani, dahl and that's about it.

On certain occasions, there would be the 'less norm' foods made for meals but those are the 'staple' for Indian food she makes.

If it's Indonesian or so - it'd again, be a range of a few things that get repeated.

Then, there's the tacos, grilled fish (over a skillet though since we don't have a real grill) and all those other stuff.

My dad, well, if he ever makes anything, it's only a grilled cheese sammich alright. :D

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Creakyknees said:

we've been trying to vary our grains as much as possible...realized we always stick with bread, rice, and pasta (though, bread and pasta are really teh same grain)

brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinua (or however you spell it), cracked barley, etc....there's tons of stuff out there. i guess it's just a matter of messin around with new things....

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
uzzie, your list has more items than i eat in a week. i thought this was going to be 1 food choice

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
jsedlak said:
Everytime I eat a grilled cheese samwich I gain ten pounds.
Make it with a tortilla, call it a quesadilla and all the calories disappear. :thumbsup:

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tomk96 said:
uzzie, your list has more items than i eat in a week. i thought this was going to be 1 food choice
I was just listing the stuff at the top of my head that I really like actually.

I could easily have any one of them for consecutive days without any problems.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
uzziefly said:
How on earth did I forget PBJs.

Yup, add that to my list too.
I did live in that in college...as well as ramen and mac n cheese.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Im super broke right now, so I have been living on the same basic foods for the last couple months.
-Rice (Usually with beans, sometimes some corn)
-Mac and Cheese
-Ramen
-Tuna (Usually made into a pasta salad)
-pasta w/tomato sauce
-PBJ Sammiches
-eggs (usually fried egg/cheese sammich)
-apples/oranges
-Ramen

I realize I'm mostly eating carbs and protien, but produce is expensive. I spent $27 at the grocery store the other day, and it has to last me over a week. I

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Creakyknees said:
top secret pic of Gutfiddle's fridge.
There's a Leffe in there so it ain't all bad.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
randi_526 said:
Im super broke right now, so I have been living on the same basic foods for the last couple months.
-Rice (Usually with beans, sometimes some corn)
-Mac and Cheese
-Ramen
-Tuna (Usually made into a pasta salad)
-pasta w/tomato sauce
-PBJ Sammiches
-eggs (usually fried egg/cheese sammich)
-apples/oranges
-Ramen

I realize I'm mostly eating carbs and protien, but produce is expensive. I spent $27 at the grocery store the other day, and it has to last me over a week. I
i know it's not ideal, but when strapped for cash, i usually go with some sort of frozen veg mix. it's fairly inexpensive and one bag can be split into 2-3ish meals...i usually do this to compliment beans/rice or pasta....

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I love (in no particular order):

Spinach (hot damn, how I LOVE spinach), asparagus, cornbread, hummus, peanut butter, black beans, basil, green leaf lettuce, brown rice, trader joe's fake chicken strips, jalapenos, pico de gallo, mozzarella cheese, chips and salsa, guacamole, egg whites, roma tomatoes, Milton's whole wheat bread, vegan Boca burgers (they're 70 calories as opposed to the Boca "all American burger" which is 110 calories).

Those are things I buy/make all the time. Probably makes up about 80% of my grocery shopping. As far as what I drink: water and coffee. When I'm out I'll order iced tea.

joe

1 - 20 of 35 Posts