Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't know which 'forum' to put this. I have Sidi shoes, Speedplay pedals. Had them for years. Now, my left large toe hurts after some 25 miles or so... I thought it was the toe, but I think the pain originates from the ball of the foot. My cleats are 'perfectly' placed, as they were put on by my 'expert' fitter...no, seriously, I watched him place them and discussed why they go where they go...lined up nicely....
Any thoughts?

· Registered
10,161 Posts
foot alignment...

You may need a cleat shim to take the pressure off the inside of the foot. I'm convinced that my Sidi shoes caused my left foot to roll to the inside. I switched to Rocket 7 shoes that come in a true D width and no longer need a shim. I was using a shim with the R7 shoes, with the thick side on the outside of my foot as I had for years and it caused pressure behind my big toe. Taking it out seems to have fixed the problem.

The latest top of the line Specialized shoes are even narrower than Sidi, so that would not be an improvement. If the cleat shim doesn't help, then consider a wider shoe. I have to admit that I never tried a Sidi Mega. I chose the R7s to get a much lighter shoe.

· Registered
29 Posts
For several years I have worn the same shoes and used the same pedals as you. And recently, I went to a podiatrist with the same symptoms that you describe. I was diagnosed with sesmoiditis, which is discussed here: http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_sesamoid_sma.htm

(A cortisone shot in the bottom of the foot really hurts).

The podiatrist fitted pads under the footbeds of my Sidis. I also think that part of the problem may be that my foot tends to move around in the shoes a little, which might aggravate the condition. A stiffer sole may help too.

Good luck.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Yea, could be sesamoiditis but would have to see it. Tends to hurt the most with direct pressure (use your thumb) under the great toe joint ("the ball") especially with the toe extended upward. Fortunately its easy to treat. Any decent podiatrist can treat it. Cortisone should NOT be necessary. In the simplest scenario, certain types of "dancers pads" can be placed in the shoe. The sidis are notoriously narrow so not the best choice for folks with foot problems. Might still be able to work with them though before you blow more cash.

· Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A rider friend looked at the cleats and said that they appear worn, the springs are kinda square-ish. He feels that this will cause the foot to roll, putting undue stress on the ball of the foot (As you all have pointed out).
So, I will change the cleats for $38...cheap and I need them anyway. Then I will take the next steps.

· Registered
3,863 Posts
I've had bad feet my whole life, that's what cubed my running career. What worked for me is buying shoes about 1/2 size too large, fitting them with Specialized Body Geometry High Performance footbeds with Varus shims and moving my (Look) cleats back. The Specialized footbeds with the shims do fill up your shoe, so if you shoes are tight now they probably won't work. I think all the Specialized shoes have the shim built in.

If I have my cleats 'perfectly centered' I will get hot foot, but it's more a hot weather problem combined with a lot of climbing. Where your cleats 'should go' and what feels comfortable are two different things. You could try a change, nothing to lose..pack a hex wrench with you and adjust..

· Registered
484 Posts
Maybe a dumb question... but could it be your socks? I wore low-ankle socks on a few rides and it gave me toe numbness. These are socks are meant for wear with tennis shoes. I wore them a few times on rides because I wanted to get rid of my tan line that comes with normal cycling shoes. Turns out these low-ankle socks, for some reason, gave me numbness on my toes. maybe they are too thick.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
tjjm36m3 said:
Maybe a dumb question... but could it be your socks? I wore low-ankle socks on a few rides and it gave me toe numbness. These are socks are meant for wear with tennis shoes. I wore them a few times on rides because I wanted to get rid of my tan line that comes with normal cycling shoes. Turns out these low-ankle socks, for some reason, gave me numbness on my toes. maybe they are too thick.
What would anlke lenght of a sock have to do with numbeness????? :eek: :mad2:

Several socks of the same style, thickness, etc come in various lengths.

There a nice assortment of cycling/running socks at ankle/no show length.

I only wear longer cycling socks on the MTB for protection. Longer socks are conry IMO. So 70's...

· Registered
484 Posts
Length of the socks have nothing with numbness. I say it was probably the thickness of the sock. The low-ankle sock was thicker and probably restricted blood flow to my feet, and thus the numbness in my toes. It doesn't feel that tight when I put it on but after couple hours it made a lot of difference.

· Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may have found the problem...worn cleat. I notice that the spindle has a groove worn in it...upon inspection, it's the spring wire that holds the cleat, rubbing on the spindle. This means that the cleat is/was worn, allowing my foot to roll, putting undue pressure on the ball of my foot. I picked up new cleats, installed them...no rub...I'll bet you that my foot pain disappears.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.