Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a pair of specialized carbon shoes with the body geometry insoles and with Look Keo Carbon pedals. I have had these shoes for about 800 miles now and it seems at the end of my rides I get a somewhat sharp pain in the ball of my right foot. I have tried tightening the shoe straps and loosening and it doesn't seem to go away.

Could this be that the shoes are just not compatible for me or something setup wise?

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after doing a ore extensive search I see some people recommend moving the cleats. I may give that a try as its kind of strange its only my right foot so maybe that cleat is just not set right

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I switched my cleats around and it did help some. What i am noticing now is that it feels like my right foot gets bunched up towards the outside of my shoe. The shoes fit fine and i am wearing thin socks, just feels like maybe somehow my foot is pushing towards the outside of the shoe which is causing it to hurt. any tips on this?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
stunzeed said:
Well I switched my cleats around and it did help some. What i am noticing now is that it feels like my right foot gets bunched up towards the outside of my shoe. The shoes fit fine and i am wearing thin socks, just feels like maybe somehow my foot is pushing towards the outside of the shoe which is causing it to hurt. any tips on this?
Check this out:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=26142
If you think you might just need the shims, they're sold separately:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=32197

·
Registered
266 Posts
1)make sure you arenot wearing cotton socks, they swell when they get wet. this coupled with the swelling of your foot durring exersize can cause this painful condition.
2) I know this wont make sense but, make sure your seat is high enough. I had this problem on my right foot and pretty much was resigned to it until I got a bike fit and found my seat was an inch too low. raised my seat, no more problem.

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only wear the thin cycling non cotton socks.

I had my bike professionally fitted so not sure that is the issue but thanks

Last night I removed the shim as I now remeber during my fitting they put it on since my leg tends to bow out so I guess maybe that was to push it back in, well im thinking its not really working and that maybe I need to work on my pedal stroke so I have been tryign to pedal with y knes closer to the saddle to see if that helps

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I had problems with the Specialized B.G. High Performance footbeds when I first got them. I stopped using them for awhile. I bought new shoes (not Specialized) that ran about 1/2 size large and now they work fine ( I also use the Specialized shims). I had to mess with my cleat position a little. The Specialized footbeds do full up your shoe more, They might make your shoes too tight. I have the green footbeds, they do make a thinner one that might work better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Move the cleats. They're probably too far forward and/or to the outside, but only you can tell by futzing with them exactly how they should go. It could also be how your bike is set up. I always recommend taking a multitool and going on a ride that has absolutely no goal except to make adjustments. Once you have everything adjusted right--and you should be able to do this with the parts you already have installed--then it will be your dream bike.

The other thing you can do is put heel lifts under your insoles. This will improve your fit and position through the instep of the shoe. I used to be a ski mechanic and did custom boot alterations for everyone from fussy suburbanites to elite Italian pro skiers who had much of their bone structure replaced with steel and titanium hardware, so trust me on this.

As for 'body geometry' and other ergonomic items, they're all gimicks. No such thing. Your equipment fits or it doesn't and you can make it fit. So long as the overall sizes are correct, everything else is adjustable. It rare that you have an item other than a saddle that simply is a bad match for any particular rider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.