Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Dura Ace Pedals and for some reason when I ride say more than 5 miles the area around the balls of my feet ache. I bought a pair of Sidi Genius 5 because the bike shop thought maybe better shoes might solve the problem. I just got back from 4 mile ride and that area of my foot is sore.What is the answer ? Different shoes? Stiffer soles perhaps "Carbon" Or is the placement of the cleats? The shop is kind of clueless so I would appreciate if some one can point me in the right direction.
Thank You

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
I encountered the same problem with the el cheapo Performance Forte road shoes. I decided race appearance wasn't worth the pain and bought some Shimano MTB shoes....MUCH BETTER, much more comfortable and no nagging foot pain.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Are you clenching your feet inside the shoes? Some people do that unconciously. I found my Sidi 4's to be comfortable after getting 'hot foot' with Shimano shoes. They're even better with a set of Peterson foot beds replacing the standard ones.

Another thing to check is your cleat position. Cleats that are too far forward can cause foot pain. I used to run my cleats all the way forward, which puts a lot of strain on the calves. I have pretty strong calves so that is fine, but it also made my feet hurt. Moving them back a tiny bit helped and didn't reduce my power.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I rode Shimano shoes for many years. I recently switched to the same Sidi's you have, and I have the same problem. IMO, their soles are too soft compared to the Shimano's.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Might Try Inserts

Sometimes the inserts that go into the shoe just don't agree with the foot. If the foot is not supported properly pain can be created in a number of areas (my experience). I once had a similar problem to the one you are describing on a pair of cheap cycling shoes. I bought a $25 pair of inserts and the problem was solved.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Genius 5's are plenty stiff. It's not that.

Mess with your fore / aft cleat position.

Some shoes just don't work with some feet.

Have you tested (wet footprint technique) for pronation / supination at all?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts