Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Biggest surprise upset?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we are talking about football so much, which game do you think was the biggest surprise upset?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, forgot to give OTHER as an option, but most of those were fairly predictable IMO.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
None of those seems like a huge upset, except possibly Ind/Hou.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
None of those seems like a huge upset, except possibly Ind/Hou.
To me the 2 biggest surprises were the way Seattle rolled over the 49'ers and the way New England dominated the Bengals.

Len

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Figured I'd wait a while before I gave my input.
was vs dal I expected a big improvement from WAS this year, but they are obviously showing growing pains. DAL didn't perform as I was expecting. This almost got my vote.
GB vs. PHI A great team from last year with a new QB. I expected GB to win all along, but the second half for PHI was pretty impressive. Concussions are good for PHI I guess.
DET vs. CHI Both are teams at the bottom of the list. I gave this game a 50/50. No big upset here, but the catch in the end was a big upset.
ATL vs. PIT ATL isn't a great team,but they are good. With PIT's lousy pre-season passing, I didn't expect much. But they still have a solid defense. Of all, this is the one that actually gets my vote.
So why didn't I pick IND vs. HOU? They've always given IND a good run for the money, and the game (as usual with the Texans) has been lost in the second half. I knew Houston was seriously focusing on their weaknesses. I was surprised how well they shut down IND, but I really felt the game could go either way before the start of it.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
2cflyr said:
other: seahawks vs 49ers.
^^^^ This

Of the ones you listed, only the Houston - Indy result could be considered an upset, but it was in Houston and was probably a must-win for Houston but not for Indy.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I should have thrown in the SF vs SEA game. SF did pretty good on the defensive front last year, and won more games than Seattle. Surprising what a new coach can do to a team, eh?

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Here's something that is not a surprise...Bob Sanders sustaining a season ending injury in the first game of the season.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
No surprises in Washington, Dallas has a lousy coach and a quarterback who thinks he's in the circus.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Peanya said:
Maybe I should have thrown in the SF vs SEA game. SF did pretty good on the defensive front last year, and won more games than Seattle. Surprising what a new coach can do to a team, eh?
Not surprising at all. Singletary is a rah-rah coach, and the players are going to tune him out after a season or two. I'd say they're right on schedule.

T-shirt said:
Here's something that is not a surprise...Bob Sanders sustaining a season ending injury in the first game of the season.
I know, right? That dude is Mr. Glass.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Chargers.. But then Arrowhead is a hard place to play. The noise added to the rain. Maybe not a huge upset. But the Chargers seemed to almost score at will last year.

·
Opus was just napping
21,422 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Not surprising at all. Singletary is a rah-rah coach, and the players are going to tune him out after a season or two. I'd say they're right on schedule.

I know, right? That dude is Mr. Glass.
A question in Peter King's column asked why the coaching staff didn't put Sanders on the shelf until the post season. Peter commented that he was looking for reason to call it a stupid suggestion, but couldn't think of one.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
thatsmybush said:
A question in Peter King's column asked why the coaching staff didn't put Sanders on the shelf until the post season. Peter commented that he was looking for reason to call it a stupid suggestion, but couldn't think of one.
It's a good point, except in reality it would probably throw off the chemistry of a secondary that had all season to get its thing on.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
It's a good point, except in reality it would probably throw off the chemistry of a secondary that had all season to get its thing on.
The year they won the SB, he effectivly didn't play all year......until the playoffs, and he was the difference.

The bigger issue, is how can you ask one of your better players to sit while healthy? What does that say to the team? And his style, what makes him good, is is wanton disregard for his body....which also makes him vulnerable. Colts have been preparing for winning without him, and that part of their defense will be fine....hell he didn't play last year and they went to the SB.

The bigger problem for them (at least based on wk 1) is their run defense.........1 week isn't a trend, but it sure is worrisome if you are an Indy fan.

Len

1 - 18 of 18 Posts