Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
428 Posts
Campy Protons have been the BEST wheels I have ever owned...

At 220 lbs., I am not 100% sure how they would hold up for you. I weigh 158 on a good day and 165 at the max. One set of my Protons has over 15k on them without any need for adjustments, only occasional lube. They have been ridden in the harshest conditions including numerous excursions on dirt, gravel, old brick (cobble-like) and typical Texas chip-seal roads without ever missing a beat or going out of true.

At your weight, I would definitely consider a handbuilt set of Ultegra/DA - Open Pro wheels with 32 spokes front and rear. Well under $500 there. Not fancy, but very very functional and plenty strong.

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
Word.

El Guapo said:
At your weight, I would definitely consider a handbuilt set of Ultegra/DA - Open Pro wheels with 32 spokes front and rear. Well under $500 there. Not fancy, but very very functional and plenty strong.
And perhaps consider a beefier rim (CXP-33, Velocity Deep-V) while you're at it.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm 275 lbs and have been on a set of D/A Open Pro wheels for a year and 3K miles and they have been perfect. I got mine with 36 spokes rear, 32 front, but at 220 lbs, 32 frt/rear should be fine, in fact 28 spokes front should also be fine. It's nice to finally have a wheelset that I don't have to constantly worry about.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
OPs and 1.1s only go as low as 28....

for the OP at 220, and on a budget, highly suggest performance... think u can get the tegs on OPs for around $200... amazing value... all dt comp and brass nipples, so that would be a plus for the OP for sure...

· Registered
208 Posts
so, ive read mavic open pros... 32 spoke, and i have come across Xero xr-1 i think??

could any of these rims just go with 28 spokes....?

can we see pics of these rims ..on bikes if possible???
and would it be impossible for the sturdy rims to be around 1500gm...Xero are i think?

phats

· Registered
650 Posts
phatkid77 said:
so, ive read mavic open pros... 32 spoke, and i have come across Xero xr-1 i think??

could any of these rims just go with 28 spokes....?

can we see pics of these rims ..on bikes if possible???
and would it be impossible for the sturdy rims to be around 1500gm...Xero are i think?

phats
The OP is available as a 28, 32 or 36 hole rim.

I hate to break it to you, but while they make great wheels, mavic rims are not interesting or new. A picture of them is not going to shoe you anything.

It is certainly possible to build a pair of OPs into a 1500 gram rim, but it would not be easy, and if Xero wheels are your model, not very likely. Don't worry about weight though, just about anyone here can tell you that.

· Registered
650 Posts
wankski said:
actually its pretty easy... dt240 hubs 28h either dt 1.1 or OP rims = c.1460g legit. Use lightweight revos or cx-rays..
First of all, 1460g is on the low side on a good day.

But thats my point anyway. A wheelset with 240 hubs and cx-rays is on a whole new level compared to Xero wheels. If Xeros are the model, then a $600+ wheelset is probably not what he had in mind.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
true, but you don't have to use dt hubs or cx-rays...

soul hubs or speedcific serenities are even lighter, and much cheaper, and along with aforementioned dt revos can make a light and cheap 'traditional' wheel...

check out the weights listed on WW, should work... working w/ stated weight for c. 294mm spokes... actual rim weight etc

now the new kinlin 22mm rim looks interesting... should be possible to build wheels in the low 1300g range.... the rim is a legit 385g apparently...hmmm....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.