Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basic computer, but now I want to add a heart rate monitor and cadence for data purposes.

Are there a cadence and heart rate accessories that work well with an Android phone??

I've tried searching and I read about bluetooth devices using up too much energy, are there any Ant+ that work with Android?

Anyone using such a set-up? What are your recommendations and feedback.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, and I know I should get a garmin, but for right now I thought I could get by with something basic (read cheap)

I'm saving up for wheels, I'd rather spend money on that than a garmin etc...

Okay, how about bluetooth devices? Anyone have any experiences? reviews etc??

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It depends on the phone... i have a sony xperia S and it will happily pair with my garmin HR strap and Garmin speed/cadence sensor. I use all that with Endomondo (only issue i have with that it the speed sensor overrides the GPS).

So you just have to find out if your phone supports ant+

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
If your Android phone supports Smart Bluetooth 4.0. then you can use the Wahoo Fitness Blue S/C sensor and a BT HRM strap. But VERY few Android phones support it. Maybe when the new JB 4.3 OS update comes, more phones will support it with the update.
Otherwise no ANT+ dongles will work either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!

I have a Nexus 4, and from I can see it does not support Ant+

I haven't found any cadence sensors that run off bluetooth, which is something I'd like to add as well.

Oh well, I suppose I'm better off in the long-run buying something like a Garmin 500 with cadence and HRM.

Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback!

I haven't found any cadence sensors that run off bluetooth, which is something I'd like to add as well.

Thanks anyway!
Wahoo Fitness does. The Nexus will support BT 4.0 with the next update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.