Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having soreness an pain on the inside of both knees(worst on the right knee) usually is the most sore and painful after I have been siting for a bit and go to get up, (for the last 7 or 8 months an it has gotten worst the last month an half). My bike fit has been the same the last 2 yrs, I was 15 lbs+ heavier this past year, and did about the same miles as previous years. I was using some cleat wedges after the pain started in the late spring. I also bought some new shoes (Specialized Road Comp) before the pain started. My ? is what does inside knee pain near the hinge of the knee joint usually indicate about possibly bike fit problems, and yes i did go to my doctor.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
this happened to me two summers ago. I spent a lot of time being frustrated, money on fitters, new shoes, cleats...

I finally did the right thing and went to a reputable orthopedic sports doctor and got a proper diagnosis.

Sadly, it turns out it was just inflamation and a small bit of arthritis. I also have a small, not worth treating, tear in a miniscus on my left knee.

The Doctor told me cycling should be fine, but if they get sore, to take it easy and rest them a bit. Perhaps some over the counter anti-inflammatory meds if you do that sort of thing.

The bottom line is, before you start messing with your bike fit, or spending money on parts and cleats and shoes and such, go get a proper diagnosis. Otherwise, you are just guessing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Velodog, thanks a lot for the link, think I will try some of tips, looking at my new shoe cleat placement compare to the older shoe, I think I will move my cleat some to the outside edge of shoe. and do some of the stretches.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The knee is pretty complex unit. You really need to get a handle on all it's structures and components & try and determine where you think the pain is being felt at.
A general "pain on the inside" is not going to cut it if your trying to really zero in on the issue.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fit is a huge factor of course but cadence can also contributed to knee soreness. If you're a grinder work on changing that.
May be some of it, I ride a lot on hills and can only spin it so fast when the hill get to steep and run out of gear, I usually avg low to upper eighties on my avg cadence for most of my rides.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
knees are fussy bits of machinery. I just changed to some new shoes. My last shoes and cleats were perfect. Did the requisite stopping on my ride 3x to adjust the cleats. Nevertheless, next day and next ride ... knee pain. Gotta play with the cleats some more it seems. Just takes a hair out of position and boom, and I am not one to get knee pain from cycling much (I get it from backpacking though).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
knees are fussy bits of machinery. I just changed to some new shoes. My last shoes and cleats were perfect. Did the requisite stopping on my ride 3x to adjust the cleats. Nevertheless, next day and next ride ... knee pain. Gotta play with the cleats some more it seems. Just takes a hair out of position and boom, and I am not one to get knee pain from cycling much (I get it from backpacking though).
Check out the link above posted by velodog, According to the link I had my cleat slide over to far to the inside of my foot for the type of pain I was having, so I moved the cleat toward the outside of my foot, I did a 50 mile ride today so far the pain and soreness seems to not be as bad, I hope this corrects the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts