Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
The family was most gracious and kind to the young man. I don't know if I could have mustered their sense of fairness when faced with this tragedy. My heart goes out again to the family.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Very sad

A long prison terms won't bring him back though. I'm sure I would be a lot less philosophical had I known Jim, but trying to prevent a repeat of this accident is probably more effective in the long run than a long jail term. I feel for Jim's family and I feel sorry for the kid. This is something that he will have to live with forever.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
DAMN, I'm tired of people walking for stuff like this.

I understand a long sentence won't bring Jim back, and I'm not a vengeful person, but damn I'm sick of seeing people get community service and probation for killing people with their cars. It's not just cyclists, though there does seem to be a double standard there. Somebody killed two German bike tourists on one of our local roads a few years ago and got a suspended sentence because it was an "accident"--he was tuning the radio or looking for a CD or something, ran off the road and killed them both, and he pretty much got a pass because he didn't mean to do it.
I won't climb all the way to the top of my soapbox here, but driving is serious business. It takes focus and concentration, and if you don't take those things with you every time you get into the car, you ought to be in jail prophylactically, to protect society.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
At the very least, it ought to be harder to get a licence, and should you cause a thing like this, you should lose it for a decade if not life.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
gizzard said:
I'm sure I would be a lot less philosophical had I known Jim.
I don't know how long you've been on RBR, but many of us here felt we did know Jim. He was a frequent and valued contributor.

Check out his posts. They good tribute to the man.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/search.php?searchid=586123

(it's odd to point at a URL to convey someones leagacy and show the difference they made in the world, but RBR lost something of great value when we lost Rusty Coggs)

Scot

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Justice was not served

This guy walked for killing another human being. Bet this individual came from a well to-do family. His license should've been yanked and some serious 10 years or more jail time should've been a starting punishment.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Thommy said:
This guy walked for killing another human being. Bet this individual came from a well to-do family. His license should've been yanked and some serious 10 years or more jail time should've been a starting punishment.
I haven't lost anyone to a crash, but I have been on the receiving end of a Mercedes.

The driver got 30 months in prison & a 4 year ban. The reason for the prison time was that it was intentional and criminal offence not merely a charge of dangerous driving.

From what I have read about this case the driver was distracted by his mobile phone. His actions immediately after the crash were better than most I have read about. Too many times you read of drivers clipping a cyclist and not even stopping. The family's attitude toward him also is of note

Price's widow, Shirley; two daughters; and an infant grandchild were in the courtroom. The family accepted his apology and asked the judge to spare him jail. The family asked that he become a spokesman and advocate for safer teen driving.
This person is going to remember that day for the rest of their life. Jail will achieve nothing except a measure of vengance. This guy made a horrible mistake which resulted in him killing another person. You can be sure that if he ever gets behind the wheel, he'll remember the lesson and not have his phone on.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
its all so damm unfortunate...

somehow we've got to change this invincibility midset drivers have.

Its even more prevelant with teens behind the wheel. Checking a text message, snoozing at the wheel. Both those resulted in a teen killing a cyclist in CO this past year.

Both of these cases had nothing to do with any animosity toward cyclists. These truly are accidents. I've made my own poor choices behind the wheel. I've fallen asleap, I've been distracted by passengers or hot girls in other cars. Yet I've managed never to cause pain to someone else. I don't think that makes me any diffrent from those kids. At least 'me' in the past tence. (Since highschool 9 years ago i've used a bike for my primary transportation and the last 3 years i've lived car-free)

Drivers really don't respect the amount of force they control behind the wheel. We make ourselves more exposed to distraction. Passengers in the car, cell phones, music, video, reading, makup application, lost and looking, snow covered windows, heavy glass tint, the leaned back head barily over the dash 'cool' look, damm it goes on and on. Combine this with our infactuation with oversized vehicles and we end up where we are today.

We've seen laws that limit passengers for young drivers.
Laws in some states bannign cell phone use.

Quite frankly I don't think these measures do anything to make a safer roadway. It solves a few of the issues but it doesn't do anything to solve the real problem of the lack of assesing personal responsibility. I don't know what can solve this. I'd hate to take a stance pushing for more laws. We've got plenty, they just aren't respected. Perhaps increasing fines for violations, surrendering liscense and vehicle for short periods would catch peoples attention. Hell, people get a DUI and are still allowed to drive to work! Oooooh lesson learned. Slap on the wrist for risking othes lives but don't inconvience them! Those that do get their liscense taken often still drive.

Maybe we need to require testing every other year for drivers. Most have no idea cyclists have a right to use the road. Most of us study for a couple hours when we are 16 and that is the end of that.

I often wonder if its just a matter of time before I become just another statistic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts