Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

so I hear that teams used the box shaped rims (not the v-shaped) and tubulars on their bikes for Paris Roubaix. Just for my own peace of mind:

What is the difference between v-shaped and box rims?
What is the difference between tubular and clincher mainly regarding ride quality, durability etc? is there a big difference in prces of all those?

thanks all

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Rim profiles

fouadaswad said:
so I hear that teams used the box shaped rims (not the v-shaped) and tubulars on their bikes for Paris Roubaix. Just for my own peace of mind:

What is the difference between v-shaped and box rims?
quite simply, v-shaped rims have a triangular cross section, whereas as box rims have a rectangular cross section.

There is a common idea that v-shaped rims are vertically stiffer than box shaped rims, and therefore box shaped rims supposedly have a more "compliant" ride. But in reality, wheels are so stiff vertically, there is little compliance to be had in the wheels to begin with, and even so, there are far more important variables determining ultimate wheel stiffness than simply the shape of the rim cross section.

fouadaswad said:
What is the difference between tubular and clincher mainly regarding ride quality, durability etc? is there a big difference in prces of all those?
This has be discussed and debated in great detail. Do a search on "tubular" and/or "clincher".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.