Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm facing a dilemma when it comes to womens bike clothing. It seems like the "shrink it and pink it" mentality is prevalent in clothing companies and that really bothers me. I'd like to think that today I could walk into my LBS or Performance or any bike shop and find a womens sized good looking jersey, just like you can find for men. However, thats not the case. This bugs me. I don't want to wear a pastel every time I get on the bike, but I'm so small that I can't fit into a small mens jersey. Does anyone else have this problem? Its to the point where I'm considering figuring out what would be involved in starting a clothing company to make womens specific clothes that don't suck. Anyone else feel like me? Or is it really as my husband says and all other women are happy wearing pink and purple all day long?

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
The gf felt the same way when she decided to "take the plunge" and get a jersey. First stop performance, all pink, salmon, and, oh, some nice ones with butterflies and flowers.

A higher-end bike shop sold Assos, which is indeed nice but FAR too spendy. Castelli and Descente sold some women's jerseys, and she found a non-pastel red descente and blue castelli that worked fine.

Better yet, join a local bike club in your area! Both the men and ladies on my collegiate team looked much spiffier when our black-and-green came in.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Go European

You also try some of the online companies that sell European sizes. A Euro XS or S would probably fit fine... does on me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I second the teamestrogen.com suggestion. They are the biggest women's specific store that I know of. terrybicycles.com also has some good stuff. I also shop at velowear.com, I love their jerseys, good fabric and not alot of girly colors.

Good luck in your search!
Sarah

·
Inching to 1000 (again)
1,049 Posts
Try Voler

I was just thumbing their catalog this morning when I noticed that they have a number of women's specific items. I've bought from them before and, while not top of the line, their products are well made and reasonably priced. All made here n the USA. When I called with questions, the customer service person was female and I suppose qualified to answer any women's fit issues you may have. They also gave me a 10% or 15% discount for being a first-time customer.

Good luck on the hunt. Now if I can only find a nice selection of long and short sleeved full zip jerseys for a thin 6'4" frame!

http://www.veloware.com

·
Registered
838 Posts
Oh, did you ever hit my hot button. I despise that flower-y butterfly crap. Even stuff aimed at female mountain bikers looks like that. Why do they think I want to wear some god-awful ROSE on my jersey if I'm the kind of girl who is willing to sweat and get muddy?

I have found a few plain jerseys that fit well (I have a nice one from Sugoi) but team jerseys are imposible to come by. I ordered a Luna Chix jersey and although it was cut small, it was not cut SHORT, nor did it pretend to be fitted in the waist or bigger in the hips. It is also tight as wax around my reasonably muscular, but not unusully so, biceps. And tight across the chest. Basically, it's a 13 year old boy's jersey.

·
Registered
130 Posts
On the other hand, there were those pink Once jerseys and whatever team Cippolini was on, so I guess the boys also have pink available to them if they like!

Seriously though - I would imagine that there would be women's team jerseys available that aren't the usual frilly style. I see a lot of women in the Bay Area wearing team jerseys that look just like the male team jerseys.

One of the women I ride with regularly usually wears red or black tops. I can ask her where she found 'em if you like. She'd never be caught dead in pink or with a butterfly motif.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I shop for my wife, I usually find jerseys that fit her from Castelli. They look good and have non=-pastel colors and patterns.

(But I often get asked at the register if I am aware that I'm about to purchase women's clothing.)

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,015 Posts
Craft, Sugoi

all make Womens' specific jerseys, no pink at all. Same level of fabrics and features as the men's stuff. Looks good, feels good.

We feature them in our shop and are popular.

www.craft-usa.com

www.sugoi.com

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
I see 50 women cyclists a Saturday, all in jerseys...

...and I haven't seen a pink one, or one any tighter than most men wear, in weeks.
I live near the turnaround of a popular training ride from Reno, and bikes go by my house all day long on weekends and every summer evening until dark. I often notice the women (guys are weird like that), and they all seem to be wearing ordinary jerseys in a range of colors. No pink, no problems, nothing to distinguish them from the men. My wife is quite busty for a cyclist, and she has a minor problem finding stuff that fits, but she's an unusual case. Most of the women I know, including my daughter, say they can find what they need at all the usual mail order places plus LBS's and REI. What are you looking for specifically?

·
I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts
It seems like the "shrink it and pink it" mentality is prevalent in clothing companies and that really bothers me
I feel your pain Hokie, a few years back when I was racing I had the same problem, I wanted a real jersey: no sleeveless tankinis, no capped sleeves, no flowers, no foo-foo, but there wasn't too much to choose from. I could fit in a men's small/medium but the torso was always too long (had to fold it under). I put it down to the fact that I was just a minority among women.

Then I got a job in the clothing division of a bike company and it was apparent that their design team (all women) were designers first and cyclists second, none had ridden before they got the job and all were girlie-girls. Meaning,they designed pink and flowered clothing because it was cute and they liked it so they believed other women would like it too. At one point they wanted to stop making women's shorts with the name of our bike on the side panel because "women don't want to be walking billboards like men". Having raced and worked in a bike shop for many years I knew that wasn't true. There were plenty of women who liked the racer look and thankfully I was able to talk them into keeping the shorts in the line.

Nowdays things appear to have changed for the better. Clothing companies seem to be hiring more women riders and they're more in tune with what the serious rider wants. They've finally realized that we're not all newbies who just want a cute outfit to wear when we ride next to our boyfriends. :rolleyes:

All of the suggestions that others have made here are a good place to start.
One further suggesstion, if you're judging clothing availability by what you see at your local shop you may not be seeing all that's out there. At the shop I worked at the clothing buyer was a guy and he didn't have a clue as to what women wanted. He bought all the pink foo-foo because all of the male sales reps convinced him that's what women wanted. :crazy:

Keep looking, there's some good stuff out there! Good luck!

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the responses everyone. at least I feel better now knowing that I'm not the only one out there. I just look at all the cool mens jerseys and it bugs me to know that the companies don't even bother to make them in a womens size. Maybe we should just start emailing major companies enmasse until they get bugged and give us some cool looking womens jerseys.

PS I did find a pretty nice Rails to Trails jeresy that fit the other day....surprise of the century.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.