Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Edge 705 in the mail yesterday from Geomangear.
(Damn is the unit small! Much smaller than I expected!)

Got the whole thing installed and working well. Personalized it and tweaked my cad/speed sensor so it's nice and close. Was a little bit of a pain because of my aero stays.

Now that it's up and running and I have the screens setup the way I want for now I found a few things to inquire about..

1-Is there any way to have the Edge auto start the clock when you start moving? Right now it seems like the unit must be powered on, acquire communication with the satellites and then you must manually start the clock. Seems like it would be easier for the ride clock to just start when you begin moving.

2- I stole my 2gig memory card from my phone and swapped it into my Edge.. Should the card be formatted while in the device through windows or is there somewhere on the Edge to format the card without the computer. Seems like the edge doesn't even care that the card is plugged in right now. I did notice a small file has appeared on it at least.

3- What screen protectors do you all use? I want a scratch guard... it's just too shiny and new to bang up. Do any of you have a rubber case of sorts you use with the edge?

4- In Garmin Training center is there any way to disable the splash screen? Also can I entirely remove running the other categories since I'll never use this for anything but cycling?

Suppose thats enough questions for now. I have a feeling I'll be geeking out over this new tool (toy) for a long while. So damn cool. haha:thumbsup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
1. You're always going to have to power the unit up and acquire satellite communication before you start to use it. However, once its up and running, you can set the unit up so that it will only record while you're moving above a certain speed, set by the user. This feature is great for rides where you have to make a number of stops and you don't want your stats to be affected due to time waiting for at stoplights, for example.

To change this, click your Menu button. Choose Training > AutoPause/Lap > Auto Timer Pause = Custom Speed - Pause When = Choose your speed you want the unit to pause at and below

2. I'm not sure if there's a formating feature built into the Edge because I have the NA City Maps on the microSD card for my unit. If you have an microSD card reader or slot for your computer, I would just format it using your computer. Depending on if you're using Windows or OSX, it's pretty easy to format it.

3. I don't use any type of screen protector. I'm very careful and protective of my unit though, and the only time it's "out" is when it's on my bike for a ride. Other than that, I keep the unit in one of my soft Oakley sunglasses cases. I've had it for almost a year now and don't have a single scratch on it.

4. As far as the Garmin Training Center goes, I'm not too sure what "splash screen" you're talking about. Again, the training center applications for Windows and OSX are actually different. I run the OSX one, so if you're running the Windows one, I don't think I can be much help for you there.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Just got my Edge 705 in the mail yesterday from Geomangear.
(Damn is the unit small! Much smaller than I expected!)

Got the whole thing installed and working well. Personalized it and tweaked my cad/speed sensor so it's nice and close. Was a little bit of a pain because of my aero stays.

Now that it's up and running and I have the screens setup the way I want for now I found a few things to inquire about..

1-Is there any way to have the Edge auto start the clock when you start moving? Right now it seems like the unit must be powered on, acquire communication with the satellites and then you must manually start the clock. Seems like it would be easier for the ride clock to just start when you begin moving.

2- I stole my 2gig memory card from my phone and swapped it into my Edge.. Should the card be formatted while in the device through windows or is there somewhere on the Edge to format the card without the computer. Seems like the edge doesn't even care that the card is plugged in right now. I did notice a small file has appeared on it at least.

3- What screen protectors do you all use? I want a scratch guard... it's just too shiny and new to bang up. Do any of you have a rubber case of sorts you use with the edge?

4- In Garmin Training center is there any way to disable the splash screen? Also can I entirely remove running the other categories since I'll never use this for anything but cycling?

Suppose thats enough questions for now. I have a feeling I'll be geeking out over this new tool (toy) for a long while. So damn cool. haha:thumbsup:
You will always have to hit the start button atr the start of the ride and stop at the end. Auto pause will take care of stops and starts in the middle of the ride.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Garmin

What is your reason to install the memory card?
The unit will record your rides in a stack, and only drop the oldest ones when it needs to. There is ample room in the unit for quite a lot of recorded data. When you are done, you are uploading that data to some other system for analysis anyway...

Also,
If you rock a Mac check out;

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/index.html

The BEST way to look at what is inside your 705 (imho)

I have three mounts for mine - Run it on the road, cross and tandem
Been through a lot, and looks new. No need for a screen protector.. or case..

For timer - I let it roll and view Moving speed from the results..

·
Registered
99 Posts
fasteddy07 said:
http://www.montebellosoftware.com/index.html

The BEST way to look at what is inside your 705 (imho)

I have three mounts for mine - Run it on the road, cross and tandem
Been through a lot, and looks new. No need for a screen protector.. or case..
Did you end up paying for that software or do you just use the trial?

As far as the case, I would highly recommend one. My Edge 305 had a tiny scratch on the face, and it came when I had took it off my bike and put it in my car. Something tipped over on it and scratched it. Like I said, my case is just the soft pouch sunglasses come in, but it gives me that little extra added security from scratches when it's not on my bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Screen Protector

ZoSoSwiM said:
Just got my Edge 705 in the mail yesterday...

3- What screen protectors do you all use? I want a scratch guard... it's just too shiny and new to bang up. Do any of you have a rubber case of sorts you use with the edge?...
I use "Fellowes" "WriteRight" screen protectors for just about all my portable electronics screens (cell phone, 705, mp3 player, etc.). I googled and ordered via the innerweb and I like the Fellowes brand much better than the brand at Wal-Mart.

JWR

·
Registered
431 Posts
EurotrashGLi said:
Did you end up paying for that software or do you just use the trial?

As far as the case, I would highly recommend one. My Edge 305 had a tiny scratch on the face, and it came when I had took it off my bike and put it in my car. Something tipped over on it and scratched it. Like I said, my case is just the soft pouch sunglasses come in, but it gives me that little extra added security from scratches when it's not on my bike.
I ran the trial, got a pointer from here on RBR to it..
Then, bought it. Could not be more pleased with the software, updates, value etc.
I can't imagine running the 705 without it at this point.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was browsing around and the Zagg screen protectors showed up.. Reviews seem favorable and I got a discount for buying one for my phone as well. So if you don't already have something for your Edge then maybe http://www.zagg.com/ is a good bet for ya. I'll have to post back with how I like it after..

I figured that I'd have to manually start the clock each ride. Poking around with the unit yesterday gave me that impression.

The memory card is useful for importing other tracks and maps right? I never use the card in my phone so I figured I'd give it a go in the Edge. What real use is the MSD card?

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah.. and I run XP.. no mac for me. Even though someday I'd like to get myself a nice Mac book pro.

I've already got Sport tracks and I've tried a number of other software apps. I guess I'll have some trial and error getting the right mix of features I want.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some of the tabs and organization with sporttracks is a little funky IMO. After I've played with it more I'll have to decide I guess. Using multiple programs just isn't fun.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Since Garmin bought Motion Based the Garmin Connect site is great. I have ridden with the 705 in a pretty steady rain and it has not shown any adverse signs at this point. When it is off the bike I store it in a hard case form Garmin. I bought the Street maps for NA and am happy I did. this way when I am riding out of town it is easy enough to load a route in to it ans see where I am going.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting... I imported my data from my roller ride last night into sporttracks.. I rode 5 miles. For some reason sporttracks is only showing 0.05 miles. Anyone know whats going on with that?

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually.. scratch that.. The total ride time, distance, and a few other variables are wrong in sporttracks.. they're correct on the Edge and Garmin Training Center. Hmmm.. All I did was import..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts