Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test rode two pretty much identical bikes today....one with Durace and one with SRAM RED. The RED grips felt much better, but more importantly, the RED hoods actually shortened the cockpit about 3cm over the dura ace (measured from front of bar to hood using same handlebars and hoods mounted in about as duplicate location as possible). Anyone else see/feel that the SRAM shifters/levers/hoods due to the way they are shaped shorten the cockpit (which in my case is a good thing)?

I actually have an option to get the bike with DuraAce or switch to SRAM FORCE (not Red) for the same price. Do the Force shifters/hoods have the same ergonomics/mounting as the RED shifters/hoods and any reason not to switch from Dura Ace to Force?

· Descender
2,213 Posts
Own a bike with each on (Force and DA) - i concur with akutsaki - there is about a 1cm difference in reach between the two.

Personally prefer the Force for ergonomics hands down - one of the reasons I choose the Force bike over the DA almost everytime.

Further the SRAM shifting is more intuitive - once you get used to Sram < 5 minutes you have to remember how to use Shimano all over again and it doesn't seem right in the way the Sram does.

I like the Force much better than DA. In the future all my bikes will be converte to SRAM.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually...after looking up some specs, the bars on one bike (with Dura Ace) has a reach of 90mm and the other (with RED) has bars with reach of 75mm...so that is more like a little over 2cm between the two....which is still significant. I am going to see if the shop will swap out the Dura Ace group for a RED group and see the impact....

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember..

pdh777 said:
Own a bike with each on (Force and DA) - i concur with akutsaki - there is about a 1cm difference in reach between the two.

Personally prefer the Force for ergonomics hands down - one of the reasons I choose the Force bike over the DA almost everytime.

Further the SRAM shifting is more intuitive - once you get used to Sram < 5 minutes you have to remember how to use Shimano all over again and it doesn't seem right in the way the Sram does.

I like the Force much better than DA. In the future all my bikes will be converte to SRAM.
I was comparing RED and Duraace.....RED levers are even more ergonomic according to what I have read which may result in a bigger gap than 1cm....

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Ergonomic is just another great marketing buzzword that the masses of people just lap up.
If the shape of Sram parts tickle you in that special place buy, it and love it. Same with Shimano hoods, same with Campy. Different strokes for different folks.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I had Force last year, Red this year. The throw is less in Red, but the ergonomics are the same. I think the ergonomics of the hoods is the biggest improvement SRAM has to offer--especially over Shimano. I liked Campy hoods, but the thumb shifting was awkward in the drops.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick Force over Dura Ace, if you like the ergonomics. You could wait for 2009 Dura Ace... if you wanted to wait for Shimano to rip off SRAM's designs! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.