Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well if I can scrape up the 150K

I'll get right on that. hey Star, Fogdweller is putting together a loose RbR group for that May Napa ride. I know you have club affiliation,but maybe you can freelance RbR for a day.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Surprising

I doubt profitiability was the motive for producing the GT. At least not profitability within that line. The GT qualified as "big success" when it made the cover of enthusiast mags being tested against Ferarris and 911's - and winning. That's a valuable lift for the real profit centers within the brand. "Ford beats Ferrari" sells the Focus and the Mustang too.

The Viper was built for the same purpose, although why it's hanging around 5 years after it was last on magazine covers is beyond me.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Ford to stop GT production.

I lusted after the GT40 from the first time they ran 'em at Le Mans, and when the production GTs came out, I was thrilled. (...and frustrated.) I figger they might as well pull the plug on 'em--I never could suss out where to mount the bike rack.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Starliner said:
If you've got $150K to spare, you might be smart to sink it in one of these soon to be classics.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060203/AUTO01/602030367/1148

Ford sold 1302 of them in 2005. 1302 x $150,000 = $19,530,000. That didn't cut it apparently.

When the Carrera GT came out, the dealers were selling them for $750k and up (Porsche's price was $500k).

Can the Ford GT really be had for $150? Even if it's marked up to 200k, that's quite a deal when you compare it to some Ferrari prices.

I'd still rather have a Ferrari. :)

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
I also remember the originals

and have always lusted after them. There's one in the showroom at the local Ford dealer, but the out the door price inludes:5k for stripes, 4k for a single cd player, and a couple other things bringing it up to 165k. Then on top of that, they added another 30k, basically because they can get it. Grand total is almost 200k, geesh.

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
atpjunkie said:
I'll get right on that. hey Star, Fogdweller is putting together a loose RbR group for that May Napa ride. I know you have club affiliation,but maybe you can freelance RbR for a day.
Absolutely if available which I'd try to be. Especially if I know what's going on in advance, and when - whoever's involved, don't be afraid to contact me.

May's always nice - transition time from spring green to summer straw. Plenty of riding decisions to make, but it'll be difficult to go wrong with any of 'em.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
I liked the GT, but it wasn't exactly a child-friendly automobile. No space for child seats, no space for prams. ;)

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scotty2Hotty said:
When the Carrera GT came out, the dealers were selling them for $750k and up (Porsche's price was $500k).

Can the Ford GT really be had for $150? Even if it's marked up to 200k, that's quite a deal when you compare it to some Ferrari prices.

I'd still rather have a Ferrari. :)
Yeah, what was Ford doing selling that car for cheap? They should have called it the GT-400K and sold it for that. I'll bet they would have sold more.

Hey Scotty, was this your girlfriend, recently caught cruising around with a friend of hers, in a bubbletop babemobile?

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Jebus

Have you seen what you did to the Foodie board? Yesterday they were a bunch of fat bastards talking about the perfect hash brown. Today it's all Chuck Norris. You need to go back there and set things right.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Have you seen what you did to the Foodie board? Yesterday they were a bunch of fat bastards talking about the perfect hash brown. Today it's all Chuck Norris. You need to go back there and set things right.
Yeah, I saw what I did.

Thanks for the link to that site, BTW. I need another forum to waste my time on. :D

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Starliner said:
If you've got $150K to spare, you might be smart to sink it in one of these soon to be classics.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060203/AUTO01/602030367/1148

Ford sold 1302 of them in 2005. 1302 x $150,000 = $19,530,000. That didn't cut it apparently.
My all-time favorite car. I liked the old ones better than the new ones--they are ever so slightly different--though a new one would be fully acceptable.

At one point I was considering a kit, but all the reputable makers of GT40 kits are in the UK, and there are fewer and fewer every year.

Anybody know why nobody raced them in any of the GT classes I see on TV in the summertime? Loads of 'Vettes and BMWs, even a couple of Mustangs, but no GT40s. Seems like a slamdunk. Too hard/expensive to get replacement parts, maybe?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
D*mn.

And I was just about to plunk down the $150K for one.:rolleyes: Sweet car, though.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
are you referring to vintage GT Class or New?

bikeboy389 said:
Anybody know why nobody raced them in any of the GT classes I see on TV in the summertime? Loads of 'Vettes and BMWs, even a couple of Mustangs, but no GT40s. Seems like a slamdunk. Too hard/expensive to get replacement parts, maybe?

asfor Vinatge the GT-40's occupied a different class. would crush GT Class cars. also since old ones are rare, all have racing pedigree, all were driven by motorsport legends the only place they'll pop up is in England at Goodwood where they still kick a$$
it's the same with racing a Cobra Daytona Coupe or a Ferrari GTO. Only real rich English guys dare put these things through their paces.

the new GT-40 completely outperformed the Ferrari in tests and at 150K quite a value. I'll take mine in Gulf Blue and Orange Livery please. I can live without the Gurney Bubble.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
It was set up as a 2-3 year run from the beginning. Too bad, though.
This was my understanding as well... I think the plant is supposed to retooled for the Cobra concept the showed a year or two ago, but who knows if they will do that now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts