Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm playing around with the fit of my relatively new bike (less than 1000 miles) and very new saddle. On my last couple of rides I've noticed severe tightness in my lower back. I live in a mountainous area and do a fair bit of climbing. When I replaced the old saddle, i thought i got the new one in relatively the same fore/aft position (judging by feel). However, in my climbs I dont think i'm doing as much work with the quads as i did before the saddle swap. I'm definitely doing more with the glutes and hams. i believe that's contributing to the lower pack tightness and discomfort. Based upon the markings on the rail, how far forward is it safe to move the saddle? If over half of the clamp is beyond the measurement markings, is that ok? My current seatpost is slightly setback. I dont want to buy a zero setback seatpost if I dont really need to.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Moving it forward

hercchick said:
Based upon the markings on the rail, how far forward is it safe to move the saddle? If over half of the clamp is beyond the measurement markings, is that ok?
Yes and yes. Moving the saddle all the way back makes some people nervous because your weight is cantilevered off the back, but moving it all the way forward means that your butt (and weight) are pretty much right over the seat post, and there is not much stress on the rails.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
FWIW, I weigh 240, and...

Over the years, until I recognized that my inability to climb was beyond my control, I've had my saddles all over the place, from as far forward as i could jam them to as far back as they'd go. Never broken a seat rail or a clamp. Which doesn't mean it can't happen, but I don't think it's a big risk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem solved

I had to move it forward quite a bit. I switched from the women's version of a saddle to the men's and apparently the ruler markings on the rails don't equate with each other. I went for a couple of trial rides and oh my burning back. I was actually getting some nerve pinching from being too stretched out. I had to move the mens saddle almost to its forward limit whereas the womens was much closer to the midmark. Now with the men's saddle forward my skinny butt is happy and so is my back. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I understand

hercchick said:
I had to move it forward quite a bit. I switched from the women's version of a saddle to the men's and apparently the ruler markings on the rails don't equate with each other. I went for a couple of trial rides and oh my burning back. I was actually getting some nerve pinching from being too stretched out. I had to move the mens saddle almost to its forward limit whereas the womens was much closer to the midmark. Now with the men's saddle forward my skinny butt is happy and so is my back. Thanks.

I went through the same thing. I went from a Fizik Arione Tri to the regular Arione. The scale index are set in different places on the rails. The Tri is more forward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.