Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Weed
1,041 Posts
arieshaked said:
I just wanted to know if any one had any experiance with this computer/gps.
I will be glad to get any feedback, good or bad.

Thanks.
I have a Forerunner 205. . I've had it for about a week now so I'm still learning. Works pretty much as advertised so far. It gets much better reception in the woods than the previous Garmin GPS model I used. It doesn't seem to like being moved when you first turn it on and it is searching for sattelites.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got a 305 and haven't had any real problems with it. My HRM monitor seems not to want to receive lately, but I think its the battery. I've never had any reception problems even when MTB riding in the woods. For road, I also have a traditional cyclocomputer and it and the 305 are usually in sync - a 1/10 or so difference in current MPH either way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've used the 305 with HR+Cad for about two months now. Works nicely so far. It is extremely easy to set up and can provide more info than you actually need. Before ordering, I was concerned about the size (thought it might be slightly larger than I would like). The unit itself really isn't much larger than a standard cycle computer. I would recommend it, but search for other threads - this has been discussed in greater detail before.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Love the 205. I have it sync'd with Google Earth - fun to see the routes after a ride via satellite photo.

Battery life isn't as long as they claim, but it'll last 8 - 9 hours before recharging.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Bump.
Can anyone else comment on the -Forerunner- 305?
I'm specifically interested in the performance of the heart rate monitor. I had a Forerunner 301, and the HR was garbage, never worked, even with a replacement strap from Garmin. And it took forever to find the satelite, and often simply could not..

·
Registered
6 Posts
How accurate is the calorie counter for the Forerunner 305? I am 52 years old and weigh 165 lb, the bike weighs about 15 lb; with an average speed of about 17.5 mph, I am burning roughly 1,100 calories per hour, does it sound right? Thanks

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
nliang said:
How accurate is the calorie counter for the Forerunner 305? I am 52 years old and weigh 165 lb, the bike weighs about 15 lb; with an average speed of about 17.5 mph, I am burning roughly 1,100 calories per hour, does it sound right? Thanks
Er. More info would be nice.
Wind?
Hills?
Cuz on flats I averaged 23mph on my last ride, at 900cal/hr, 150 pounds and 21.5 pound bike, 5mph E wind on a 50 mile loop.
However, throw in a big climb and I can be going 10mph burning 1300 cal/hour easily.
-estone2

·
Registered
6 Posts
My average ride is about 35 to 45 miles and usually last between 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The first half of the ride is usually uphill from an elevation of 550 ft to around 850 feet and then turn around home; wind speed may vary between 5 to 15 km. The average speed usually come in betwwen 16.5 to 17.6 mph and the calorie burn will be between 2100 low to a high of 2400 for a windy day. All these numbers are generated by my Forerunner 305 GPS, I just want to know if anyone is getting similar number with other instrument.

·
Registered
713 Posts
nliang said:
My average ride is about 35 to 45 miles and usually last between 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The first half of the ride is usually uphill from an elevation of 550 ft to around 850 feet and then turn around home; wind speed may vary between 5 to 15 km. The average speed usually come in betwwen 16.5 to 17.6 mph and the calorie burn will be between 2100 low to a high of 2400 for a windy day. All these numbers are generated by my Forerunner 305 GPS, I just want to know if anyone is getting similar number with other instrument.
Well, I believe this, and other HR units that track calories, use a pretty standard formula based on HR and age. So if someone did the same workout as you, averaged the same heart rate, and had their age entered the same (if the particular unit takes age into consideration, not sure if the Garmins do), then their calorie count would be about the same.
I remember reading that most of these units pad the calorie count to make people think they are burning more than they are, make them happier. I usually assume my calories burned is about 25% less than what the polar or garmin tells me.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
All HR monitors lack in the calorie counting area. Polar is only slightly better than garmin, but I wouldn't trust either.

That being said, I love my Edge 305. I have had a couple software problems with the original releases, but as of late, no problems.

The HR monitor is first rate and never misses. The battery just died, but it lasted a full season so I'm happy with that. GPS is sweet too-fast, accurate, consistant. Battery lasts 11hrs. It will last 6hrs when the battery drops to the lowest bar (falsely showing low batt, but it isn't).

Only complaint would be that I am addicted to it and went through withdrawal when I bumped the magnet off of my crank arms so the cadence sensor didn't work and I had to ride without it for a day...easy fix from radio shack though.

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
All HR monitors lack in the calorie counting area. Polar is only slightly better than garmin, but I wouldn't trust either.

That being said, I love my Edge 305. I have had a couple software problems with the original releases, but as of late, no problems.

The HR monitor is first rate and never misses. The battery just died, but it lasted a full season so I'm happy with that. GPS is sweet too-fast, accurate, consistant. Battery lasts 11hrs. It will last 6hrs when the battery drops to the lowest bar (falsely showing low batt, but it isn't).

Only complaint would be that I am addicted to it and went through withdrawal when I bumped the magnet off of my crank arms so the cadence sensor didn't work and I had to ride without it for a day...easy fix from radio shack though.
How does the virtual training partner work. I like the idea of having certain data available without having to scroll thru screens. What is important to me is current speed, distance traveled and a pace arrow letting me know if I'm currently faster or slower than the avaerage for the ride. Does the 305 do this? Also could you post a picture of the cadence sensor on the bike?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the 305- bought the 205 for my girlfriend

I have the 305 and it is great. The unit and heartrate monitor work better than my Polar 720i. I like the software better and the unit itself is much easier to use.

I use it for both running and cycling. I thought it was so good I bought one for my girlfriend. I got her the 205 because I got here a stand alone HR some time ago and didn't know if she would need the HR..plus I saved a few bucks by going with the 205.

In summary, I think it is a great product - highly recommended.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the 205, and I really like it. The satellite reception is far superior to previous gen Garmin products. My GPSMAP60CS wasn't able to get great accuracy in tree cover, while the Edge can get a signal in my basement! I sort of wish I had gone with the 305 for the cadence and ability to track and plot elevation, but since I ended up paying $89 for the 205 I can't really complain. As others have pointed out it really isn't much larger than an advanced cycling computer, and it is well made.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
How does the virtual training partner work. I like the idea of having certain data available without having to scroll thru screens. What is important to me is current speed, distance traveled and a pace arrow letting me know if I'm currently faster or slower than the avaerage for the ride. Does the 305 do this? Also could you post a picture of the cadence sensor on the bike?

Thanks!
It does have distance and current speed but no pace arrow. I have the edge 305 and I miss that feature as well.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes, please! Where to buy one at a good price?

I ordered one last Monday from Etronics for $203, on Friday they finally tell me it is out of stock. Their website advertised it as IN STOCK in huge letters. I'm thinking bait and switch at this point. I will cancel the order as soon as I find somewhere else to get one a little less than retail.

·
Registered
48 Posts
cdale02 said:
I have the 305 and it is great. The unit and heartrate monitor work better than my Polar 720i. I like the software better and the unit itself is much easier to use.

I use it for both running and cycling. I thought it was so good I bought one for my girlfriend. I got her the 205 because I got here a stand alone HR some time ago and didn't know if she would need the HR..plus I saved a few bucks by going with the 205.

In summary, I think it is a great product - highly recommended.

Is everyone using the Forerunner 305 or the Edge 305?

I want cadence and heart rate features, and would be mostly using the device on the bike, but would like the ability to use it for running also.
I was under the impression the the Forerunner could be used for running, and the Edge could be used for cycling, but wasn't sure if either would work well for both.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
litespeedchick said:
Yes, please! Where to buy one at a good price?

I ordered one last Monday from Etronics for $203, on Friday they finally tell me it is out of stock. Their website advertised it as IN STOCK in huge letters. I'm thinking bait and switch at this point. I will cancel the order as soon as I find somewhere else to get one a little less than retail.
$275 for edge 305 which is a damn good deal
http://www.chumbo.com/Info.aspx?id=307702

chumbo has the lowest prices on all of the gps computers, so just search there. The forerunner and edge can both do cycling and running. If you do more running, get the forerunner, if you do more cycling, get the edge. The edge has a cadence feature and bike mounts (optional arm strap). The forerunner has a wrist strap but no cadence.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.