Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how is cycling in CT? I'm looking at a job in Hamden, CT which is north of New Haven.
Good roads for riding, what about trails, racing oppurtunities?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cycling is excellent in CT.....

There are lots of cars here but its very easy to get on the back roads where you'll see very few. The Hamden area is close to the Litchfield hills and the ocean so you'll find plenty of loops with great roads and scenery. Being a bit closer to the ocean means less snow also. There's a snow line that typically cuts north of Hamden so most storms bring rain or slush while the northern half gets snow.

Plenty of MTB opportunities also with many nearby state forests and parks.

Racing scene is pretty active. While not a recer, I ride the Sleeping Giant ride on Tuesday's in the summer and Sunday in the winter that's well attended by all levels of riders including experts and even pros, occasionally (Lance showed up at one a few years ago.) That would be a great place to meet folks.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Second that.

I live in Glastonbury, about 30 miles north of Hamden. Hamden is in the relatively flat central valley, which is somewhat congested, but as Tachymetres said you don't have to go far to find quiet back roads. There are no big mountains in that part of the state (well, there are no BIG mountains anywhere in the state), but lots of rolling stuff, and plenty 1-2 mile steep climbs if you like that.

Road conditions are generally very good (it's an affluent place), and drivers are more polite and attentive than in most parts of the country -- not so many ********, and more suburban types who tend to identify with and respect people who are out playing with expensive toys. There are places where road design is very unfriendly to bikes, but with a little careful route planning you can find terrific riding -- quiet, scenic, and fun terrain. I can do a 50-mile loop (with 3000 feet of climbing) from my house, and on a Sunday morning 90% of that route will be so quiet I'll only see a car every 5 minutes or so.

Winters are a bit of a pain, however. For about 4 months conditions are such that road riding is often a struggle. But from March through October it's really a pretty good place to ride.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Lots of riding opportunities in CT. See the "Moving to Branford (maybe)" thread in the New England forum. Great race scene in New England also- Tyler Hamilton, Tim Johnson, Jonathan Page, and the McCormack brothers all hail from here.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I have in-laws in Unionville/Farmington/Canton/Avon area. When I go up there, I try to hook up with these guys http://www.easternbloc.net/Index.asp
The terrain is just great for riding. Rolling hills, occasionally steep, occasionally long. Unfortunately, you do have to navigate some narrow roads with traffic in the process, but it's all very manageable. A very decent roadie scene. I did one race up there; it was fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't forget Tom Danielson --- he's from Deep River.

For hot mountainbiking action, check out bikerag They got national trail reviews, maps & pics but are based out of Connecticut (in fact, across the hall from me) so there's plenty of New England content. (server is down right know due to loss of power at server location becuase of highwinds)

Most roadie friendly roads tend to have short steep hills. Tough to find flats to mellow out on w/o much traffic for afterwork rides. Hill repeats @ Castle Craig in Meriden are nice though. Steady 6-8% grade w/ vert of 800 ft. Closed to traffic after 5 pm. (And the traffic before then is slight).

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
bill said:
I have in-laws in Unionville/Farmington/Canton/Avon area. When I go up there, I try to hook up with these guys http://www.easternbloc.net/Index.asp
The terrain is just great for riding. Rolling hills, occasionally steep, occasionally long. Unfortunately, you do have to navigate some narrow roads with traffic in the process, but it's all very manageable. A very decent roadie scene. I did one race up there; it was fun.
I agree with others re: riding in CT. I've lived here my whole life and I'm actually an Eastern Bloc Cycling Club member (as well as Central Connecticut Cycling Club). Additionally, I went to college @Quinnipiac, which is right across from Sleeping Giant. Too bad I wasn't really into road riding back then, as I was just bit by the mtb bug (1992-1993).

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
big game said:
Don't forget Tom Danielson --- he's from Deep River.

For hot mountainbiking action, check out bikerag They got national trail reviews, maps & pics but are based out of Connecticut (in fact, across the hall from me) so there's plenty of New England content. (server is down right know due to loss of power at server location becuase of highwinds)

Most roadie friendly roads tend to have short steep hills. Tough to find flats to mellow out on w/o much traffic for afterwork rides. Hill repeats @ Castle Craig in Meriden are nice though. Steady 6-8% grade w/ vert of 800 ft. Closed to traffic after 5 pm. (And the traffic before then is slight).
True - Tom Danielson! Although he's from East Lyme, BigGame! ;-)

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Didn't realize that 1993 was a 'few years ago' :)

he didn't show up, the ride 'caught' him, post world champ oslo win, hence the name "lance ride". the story behind it is actually hillarious.

Tachymetres said:
(Lance showed up at one a few years ago.).

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
plenty of good riding to be had

i'll second the suggestion to check out the thread 'moving to branford', in the new england section.

i'm from southern CT, but didn't start riding until i was in NYC. if you're in Hamden, then you have 3 group ridesd available (the sleeping giant tuesday ride, the amity bike friday night ride, and the off season sunday ride at sleeping giant). there's a good amount of other group rides if you want to drive a bit.

also, seeing as you're in hamden, you're spolied for choices with races, seeing as northen NE is a short drive, as well as NYC and upstate NY.

·
Registered
155 Posts
bill said:
what is the "Sleeping Giant" ride?
you must be vewy vewy qwiet or you'll wake the giant! ;)

There's a state park in Hamden named Sleeping Giant State Park. So named because when viewing the hills that comprise the park at a distance, they resemble a giant lying on the ground asleep. I would assume the ride starts and ends at the parking lot of the park.

I'll be leaving this sh!thole (aka: TX) next week and heading back to Connecticut so perhaps once the spring comes I'll see some of you on this ride!

Moderators: perhaps this thread should be transplanted here?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My wife grew up in Hamden

Getting up the hills from Rt 10 to Rt 69 left her a strong rider for life! I' ve gone over 50 mph on West Todd Rd, so climbing it isn't easy.

Heading out of town to the north and west leads to some very pretty places.

Second the good words about Amity Bike Shop.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Yup, that was me...no biggie. Richard, I've been lusting after your bikes ever since I got into road riding four years ago. I definitely want to someday be the proud owner of one of your works of art. I've been by your shop several times and even peeked in the window once or twice. My wife recently brought home the recent 'INK' publication b/c she spotted your article and knew I'd enjoy reading it. Keep up the great work!

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
you are correct. maybe catch you there when i'm back for easter, or sometime around then.

cpuffe said:
I would assume the ride starts and ends at the parking lot of the park.
I'll be leaving this sh!thole (aka: TX) next week and heading back to Connecticut so perhaps once the spring comes I'll see some of you on this ride!
here?

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
70 and sunny.....you won't like it.....

Dwayne Barry said:
So how is cycling in CT? I'm looking at a job in Hamden, CT which is north of New Haven.
Good roads for riding, what about trails, racing oppurtunities?
Yeah, the Triangle is the pits......here in NC it's:

always cold, taxes are high, no place to ride, no good LBS, restaurants are lousy, colleges worse, and acc basketball is just horrible........don't come
:D:D:D:D

Just kidding....sorry you couldn't find what you were looking for here in NC......but don't judge NC by Greenville alone......G'luk in CT

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bonkmiester said:
Yeah, the Triangle is the pits......here in NC it's:

always cold, taxes are high, no place to ride, no good LBS, restaurants are lousy, colleges worse, and acc basketball is just horrible........don't come
:D:D:D:D

Just kidding....sorry you couldn't find what you were looking for here in NC......but don't judge NC by Greenville alone......G'luk in CT
Far from a done deal. In fact, I have an offer in NC, have to wait to hear from CT job. The NC job is better anyway so it will be weighing job vs. lifestyle if I end with an offer from CT.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
Cool.........

Dwayne Barry said:
Far from a done deal. In fact, I have an offer in NC, have to wait to hear from CT job. The NC job is better anyway so it will be weighing job vs. lifestyle if I end with an offer from CT.
Glad to hear you might do that DB-
Be cool to have another good biker in NC.......!!!
JJ
Go Duke !!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts