Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and SHIFTED! Oh, I feel so dirty.

Went on a 102 mile ride yesterday, 8,000' climbing. Just did not feel ready to take it on fixed, especially after a very hard week of fixed training and commuting.

First time on a coastie in about 6 months, and my pedaling was slop. I seemed to find a dead spot in each revolution, where I guess I had gotten used to the fixie smoothing it out like a flywheel for me. Only took about 50 miles to get my form back, though.

Took my Soma commuter, with rack, fenders, trunk bag, the whole bit, which has 50/42 x 11-23 gears, and at about 25 pounds, it still required lots of standing up the 2-3,000' climbs, so in a way it was still good fixed gear training, but without the extremes. I do have to admit, coasting at 50 mph down long winding descents is more fun than doing them at 150 rpms on a fixie, but a lot less challenging.

Route included the highest summit of the Merced - Clovis leg of the Amgen. There was a lot less now there now, as some recent rain melted it mostly. Still some piles of snow near the road, but temps only dipped to 54 degrees at the top, which warmed to 68 degrees in one descent over 6 miles. Expected rain, so took full rain gear and bike with fenders, but not a drop. I guess that's the way it works.

62 mile fixed ride this weekend, then the Solvang Century fixed the following weekend. That should be fun.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I also coasted on my geared bike this weekend. Suddenly, the people I regularly ride with were very nice to me again. :D

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I think my singlespeed/fixie knows when I'm cheating. I went on a fast group ride with the geared bike, made it one mile before the stemcap cracked and I limped back to the shop. I live in a very mountainous area, I ride singlespeed rather often because of the long downhills. But rarely do I shift on the road.

Oddly enough I have no interest in a mountainbike singlespeed. I'll keep my shifters, thank you.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
the shame of it all

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
same here

VaughnA said:
Oddly enough I have no interest in a mountainbike singlespeed. I'll keep my shifters, thank you.
There are some hills that I can barely climb in my 22 x 34 on my mtb. No way I'd want to use that gear for the rest of the ride.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Brother Fixed I cannot cast a stone for I too have coasted.

For two years now I have ridden only fixed, through snow and rain and sun and bugs, daily to work, shop, and entertainment. Following the writings of Sheldon I ran a 42 tooth biopace with a 16 tooth cog. And when some sinner coveted my steed and walked off with it I built up a replacement with the same setup.

But I had been admiss with regular attendence to the services. As a result my chain became stretched and a couple of the aluminum sprocket teeth worn, and then while accelerating at the top of a hill I hit a bump and dropped the chain and coasted down the hill and enjoyed watching the road pass while my legs remained motionless. I coasted as far as I could to relish that ride as long as possible.

I have replaced chain and replaced the biopace with a round steel sprocket and returned to regular attendence to the services.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
That'll be 50 'Hail Marty Nothsteins" to each of you.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Ecumenical cyclist here

I love my fixed riding, but I ain't no fundamentalist. You guys that that ride fixed all the time are obsessive-compulsive fanatics, especially if you ride in hills. Coasting is good, too, especially when you've spun out your top gear and you drop into that tuck at 45 mph. That's a smile you can't get on the fixie :)

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
JCavilia said:
I love my fixed riding, but I ain't no fundamentalist. You guys that that ride fixed all the time are obsessive-compulsive fanatics, especially if you ride in hills. Coasting is good, too, especially when you've spun out your top gear and you drop into that tuck at 45 mph. That's a smile you can't get on the fixie :)

I'm the Jim Baker of evangelical fixed riding....as the moderator here, I'm fanatical, virtuous, and moral about riding fixed...however I have strayed more often than not......:blush2:

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
You should be excommunicated from the Church for what you have done! :nono:

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
CleavesF said:
We are all of the same "only one gear above all" religion, just different sects.

Heathens are the shifty types. But like most of the zealots around here I'll sometimes stray a bit.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No "one gear religion" for me

VaughnA said:
We are all of the same "only one gear above all" religion, just different sects.

Heathens are the shifty types. But like most of the zealots around here I'll sometimes stray a bit.

I'm a bitheist.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
atone?

CleavesF said:
Could I atone for my sins by doing a double century fixed? I'll even wear wool and use tubulars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
seeborough said:
That'll be 50 'Hail Marty Nothsteins" to each of you.
Brother Seeborough and Brother Hickey, this is the first transgression for which I have been caught (or to which I have owned up) and I do not know the "Hail Marty Nothsteins" and will need some assistance here with how to perform the 50 Hail Marty's. :(

Also Brothers, I am somewhat confused for on consulting the reference Wipedea it tells me that Marty Nothstein was a professional road bicycle racer and track cyclist. Surely he did not coast to 1st in the Tour de Christiana in 2005, or to 2nd, Stage 2 - Nature Valley Grand Prix Stage Race in 2004, but rode these races fixed? :thumbsup:

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm going to hell any how....so.....

That said I rode fixed today..... FINALLY (actually that is ALL I ride from November to May)

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sinning is fun

Dave Hickey said:
I'm the Jim Baker of evangelical fixed riding....as the moderator here, I'm fanatical, virtuous, and moral about riding fixed...however I have strayed more often than not......:blush2:
No one would sin if it wasn't fun... ;-)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Heh. How funny that this thread appears the day after one of the bearings in my flip-flop hub disintegrates, making me commute on the singlespeed MTB for the week. I hate coasting, and I hate riding on the road with only 60 gear-inches (36-16).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mambeu said:
. . . . making me commute on the singlespeed MTB for the week. I hate coasting, and I hate riding on the road with only 60 gear-inches (36-16).
Brother Mambeu, how do you sin (coast) and not enjoy it? The 60 gear-inches is atonement enough then, perhaps even a bit harsh. It does not seem possible. Had you enjoyed it I could imagine you cycling your commute on a 60 gear-inch MTB with some tar and lots of white feathers and many hail Marty's what ever they are.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.