Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious question though, I am noticing that on my Waterford, when I am climbing in 53/13 (big ring/smallest cog) the chain is occasionally skipping across the cog. This is for sure an indication that the chains and cassette are worn, I ordered a new cassette and pair of chains, but I hate to start wearing them out, lol. (I have been getting about 7000 miles on a cassette and a pair of chains)

Do I:
1.) suck it up and change em out
2.) quit being a dope and shift to climb
3.) ride another bike (which is what i have been doing)

I will admit that the MAIN reason I have been riding another bike is that after getting caught out in the thunderstorm the other day, the waterford is dirty!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You're forgiven. One can not ever be seen riding a dirty Waterford, so switching out and riding another bike is completely understood. And it's OK to occasionally post about NNC. It reminds me of how and why I found this place to begin with.

Oh yeah, chain/cog skip is way beyond annoying. Time for a new chain. And maybe cassette as well.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're forgiven. One can not ever be seen riding a dirty Waterford, so switching out and riding another bike is completely understood. And it's OK to occasionally post about NNC. It reminds me of how and why I found this place to begin with.

Oh yeah, chain/cog skip is way beyond annoying. Time for a new chain. And maybe cassette as well.
you know, I hadn't thought about replacing just a chain, I have always alternated 2 chains on a cassette and when it starts slipping, replaced all.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
A bike that doesn't have stuff wear out is a bike that isn't ridden enough.

Your Waterford have Campag or Shimano/SRAM? I could dig if it were Campag 11s....the Chorus 11s cassettes are f'in $120USD in USA online pricing these days wtf.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I will admit that the MAIN reason I have been riding another bike is that after getting caught out in the thunderstorm the other day, the waterford is dirty!
The main reason I have been cruising in my old yacht is the new one got wet.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
you know, I hadn't thought about replacing just a chain, I have always alternated 2 chains on a cassette and when it starts slipping, replaced all.
Rotate through more chains. I'm rotating through 3 of them and just swapped a chain out at 10,500 and everything is still running smooth. I was gonna rotate 4 chains but I didn't have a 4th when the time came, so just went with the three. I'm planning on 15,000+ before things start wearing out, but we'll see.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Dumb query;
Have you checked the chainring for wear as well?

By rotating multiple chains I'm hoping that everything wears down at once (Chainring, chains, cassette).

Does that seem reasonable?

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
You need to make a poal noob.

Another valid option is get another bike.

I hardly ever wear out cassettes but I don't log as many miles as you and I spread mine out amongst several bikes. I also vote just replace chain.

·
Proud luddite
7,223 Posts
Why the hell are you climbing in your 53/13? If I did that, the sound of my exploding kneecaps would be heard for miles. :D

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Serious question ... when I am climbing in 53/13 ...
hmmm. how steep is the hill? i would just go slightly "bigger." can you find a 56t ring? and maybe replace the rear cluster with one with an 11t small cog. that should do it.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Why the hell are you climbing in your 53/13? If I did that, the sound of my exploding kneecaps would be heard for miles. :D
Man, I can't hardly believe that I didn't notice that.

Could that be why the question is asked in the Lounge and not Components, wrenching?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Man, I can't hardly believe that I didn't notice that.

Could that be why the question is asked in the Lounge and not Components, wrenching?
Touch0Gray is scared of cxwrench, perhaps?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A bike that doesn't have stuff wear out is a bike that isn't ridden enough.

Your Waterford have Campag or Shimano/SRAM? I could dig if it were Campag 11s....the Chorus 11s cassettes are f'in $120USD in USA online pricing these days wtf.
Campy, 10 speed, veloce (centaur cassette, 2 veloce chains)

actually, I have a new cassette and pair of chains sitting here (all Veloce), I got for 90 no shipping or tax (Chain Reaction) Got them in 3 days!

You need to make a poal noob.

Another valid option is get another bike.

I hardly ever wear out cassettes but I don't log as many miles as you and I spread mine out amongst several bikes. I also vote just replace chain.
I have 6 bikes, been riding my Trek 5200 too (Campy) for the past week or so. (last week I did rack up 261 miles, mostly on the Waterford (120 on the plastic-fantastic)
hmmm. how steep is the hill? i would just go slightly "bigger." can you find a 56t ring? and maybe replace the rear cluster with one with an 11t small cog. that should do it.
I shift if the hill is longer than say a 1/4 mile and over 3%

Touch0Gray is scared of cxwrench, perhaps?
the only thing I'm scared of is.....um...uh....well, heights and my wife finding out what I have invested in bikes

btw, Ms Waterford is spotless again

Attachments

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
I shift if the hill is longer than say a 1/4 mile and over 3%
less than those isn't a hill, it's called a slight rise around here.

A clean bike should be ridden as soon as possible. I see cleaning as part of maintenance and not an aesthetic bent. Clean to check for potential problems, then ride. every two weeks or so repeat unless like today there was a lot of rain and muddy puddles.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Campy, 10 speed, veloce (centaur cassette, 2 veloce chains)

actually, I have a new cassette and pair of chains sitting here (all Veloce), I got for 90 no shipping or tax (Chain Reaction) Got them in 3 days!

I'm surprised that you're only getting 7000 miles out of that Campagnolo drive train as I've got two Campagnolo 10spd bikes going with two chains each and they're both at about 11,000 miles. One of those is getting a little tired but it don't get rode much so all's well. And my main bike, like I mentioned earlier, with three chains runs like new with 10,500 miles. This one's 11spd Campagnolo.

Like kiwisimon said, take it out and get it dirty.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
less than those isn't a hill, it's called a slight rise around here.

A clean bike should be ridden as soon as possible. I see cleaning as part of maintenance and not an aesthetic bent. Clean to check for potential problems, then ride. every two weeks or so repeat unless like today there was a lot of rain and muddy puddles.
This ^^^^^^^ and caught in a thunderstorm, although, I like pretty and clean too, nothing wrong with trying to keep them that way.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm surprised that you're only getting 7000 miles out of that Campagnolo drive train as I've got two Campagnolo 10spd bikes going with two chains each and they're both at about 11,000 miles. One of those is getting a little tired but it don't get rode much so all's well. And my main bike, like I mentioned earlier, with three chains runs like new with 10,500 miles. This one's 11spd Campagnolo.

Like kiwisimon said, take it out and get it dirty.
The only time it isn't perfect is when I hit a rise or 3% or 4% in my highest gear and I drag the chain across the teeth on the smallest cog, I get it, that is not what I should be doing, if I knock it up one cog, no issues at all. It is just the way I ride though, I know it's wrong, but I get excited on hills, it is the only place I have ANY advantage at all. I am a little guy, 5 foot 5 and in the height of the season, I struggle to maintain 125 pounds (which I am desperately failing at right now.) It's a power to mass thing, and I got no mass. Trust me when I say it pisses a lot of people of when a tiny little white bearded old man kicks their a$$ on a real climb. (we have a lot of 9% to 11% around here)

I live 8 miles from Trek's international headquarters and there's a LOT of hot shot kids, and some damned good , fast riders. The collegiate nationals are held on my regular daily ride routes.

As an aside, one day a couple of guys were giving me sh!t because I was not riding a Trek (I do have two of them) I looked a one of them and assured them, that unlike most of the Trek on the road, my bike was indeed, hand-built in WI

·
Registered
93 Posts
More speed to you. I'm 160 lb & falling & quite slow. I got passed by a butterfly yesterday. (uphill). I got passed by a girl last week on the level. 3% grade is 100 yards out my door. My commute to the summer camp hits 14-15% four places. I only use 50:anything downhill. Chain used to skip downhill on 14 (smallest) til I adjusted the deraileur tighter.
I don't ever wash my bike. I made the fenders out of used bike tubes so the dirt wouldn't show. If it builds up enough dirt inside to scrape I poke it with a screwdriver until it falls out. I lube the chain and idler sprokets weekly, or more often if it rains. 5 W ATF drips off pretty easily carrying some dirt.
Wikipedia thinks NNC is National Numismatic Collection. What do you guys mean?

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
trolling trollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrolling
same old boring stuff needs to change up trollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrollingtrolling
NNC means Not Necessarily Committed. It refers to a sub section of the lounge that used to ride to swinger parties near Laguna Beach. I think.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
I forgot that you were a yellow bike guy.

This was my spring acquisition--sadly black labels so we can't officially be brothers.... Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

1 - 20 of 36 Posts