Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a Wound-Up or the stock Profile Design with straight legs. Any preferences?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
rcnute said:
I'm trying to decide between a Wound-Up or the stock Profile Design with straight legs. Any preferences?
Had a Wound Up on mine, switched it out to an Easton.

The crown on the Wound Up is polished aluminum and when the bike lined up with the celestial spheres, the reflection was angled nicely into my eyes. Result was riding around half--blind all the time. Might not be a problem living anywhere but the desert, but for me, it was a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not considered that. Fortunately in Seattle the sun does not shine.

·
Registered
425 Posts
rcnute said:
How about the Gunnar steel fork? Looks great with the Gunnar frames. I think Profile may have discontinued the straight leg fork (if it is the one I am thinking of). I had it on a bike a couple of years ago. It was a great fork.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you go on the Gunnar website, they have an admittedly slightly biased forum group - you might get some good feedback from there. When I was toying with the idea of a Roadie, after two great years on a Sport, one of the things that put me off was the straight bladed steel fork - call me old fashioned, but it just didn't look right. Big deal, you like straight blades, you'd be happy!

Turns out, there's very little choice in 1-1/8" fork crowns available in steel and they were somewhat stuck with this one, which brought along the straight blades. I ran into the same thing basically with my new Bob Jackson, from England, and just gave in, joined the 21st Century at a basic level with a 1-1/8" steerer CF fork on my new lugged steel frame. A real old fogey would have gone back to a 1" steerer and steel forks ;)

regards

Dereck

·
Registered
234 Posts
On my Gunnar, I put an...

Ouzo Pro--it gives a terrific balance between ride and handling. I was very reluctant to put a carbon fork on the Roadie, but I did it, and I am pleased and surprised. The front and rear seem to have a very similar bump response, and are very compliant, too. But, they are both moderately stiff under power, and are good when handling.

I am a steel fan, but I hesitated to get a Waterford/Gunnar because they still are making a Reynolds 531 fork. Frame tubes have advanced significantly, but steel forks have not kept pace. 531? I have a 45 year old Raleigh with a 531 fork.

I shouldn't suggest this, but I am a nice guy, I guess. I live in Seattle, if you want to check out my bike, say so here.

rcnute said:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
My Easton works just fine, as would most any good quality fork.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
A fork adds too much weight.

rcnute said:
Start a new trend, leave the fork off and ride the thing as a unicycle.

BTW the steel Gunnar fork gets my vote.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Make sure you get a fork with a 43 rake.
Ps. If you haven't ordered it yet, you can request that they omit the "rodie" decal.
You can also have the factory paint your name on the top tube (under clearcoat) for $45 extra.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
What Grumpy sez

Get them to keep the "roadie" decal off the top tube. It takes away from a really nice frame. I ordered mine without it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts