Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· yup
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange issue- If I grab my front brake and rock my bike back and forth, there is a slight amount of play- as if the headset or stem is not tighted down. But ONLY when the bike is cool. If it sits out or I am riding it for awhile, it goes away. Colnago full carbon fork, Zipp stem, Colnago headset.

Anyone ever encounter this before?

· Registered
10,161 Posts
thoughts...

Temperature changes are not going to make that much difference in the headset adjustment. I'd say the headset is too loose, but it depends on the bearing design. Traditional caged ball headsets are more difficult to setup than the newer angular contact cartridge bearing designs. The angular contact bearing must have a significant preload pressure applied with the top cap bolt. Holding the front brake and rocking the bike to feel for play does not work with these bearings.

Even with the old style caged bearings, you should tighten the top cap enough to cause some minor binding as the fork is turned, then loosen the top cap bolt just enough to eliminate the binding - probably 1/8 turn.

· Registered
549 Posts
I had the same problem on my newer Masi build..... just noticed it after about 1500 miles of use. You'll also notice a weird "twang" when you lightly bounce the bike.
I found it to be the chromed inner race that sits on the fork crown at the bottom of the steer tube. It was not a perfectly friction fit. I didn't inticate it but it was a few thousands larger. I have a full carbon aftermarket fork BTW and I feared a sawing action that would eventually cause the steerer tube to fail but saw no damage to the steer tube yet. I knew swapping multiple races out would not likely yeald a tighter one so I decided to set the lower race in epoxy (not so much to glue it it place but more to fill any play). I saw this as no problem as it uses a common integrated 1 1/8" headset and because, with the variation in materials, I could likely pry it loose later if needed.
This has held for the past 500 or so miles. I need to pull it apart to reassess it but it appears to be working fine now as everything is much tighter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.