Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together my new KG461. Installing the fork I notice a almost 3mm space between the fork crown and lower head tube. My cannondale setup had the fork almost flush with the frame. I followed the fork instuctions that came with the bike.I installed the fork cone and then the lower bearing.The fork cones seats all the way down on the fork. Do I need this part? The frame already has the bearing races installed. Is this normal on a LOOK frame?

·
Registered
492 Posts
hawkhero said:
I am putting together my new KG461. Installing the fork I notice a almost 3mm space between the fork crown and lower head tube. My cannondale setup had the fork almost flush with the frame. I followed the fork instuctions that came with the bike.I installed the fork cone and then the lower bearing.The fork cones seats all the way down on the fork. Do I need this part? The frame already has the bearing races installed. Is this normal on a LOOK frame?

Take the steel bearing race off the fork. The newer HSC4 forks have the race molded into the carbon. I have two HSC4 forks. One with a steel race and one without.

·
Registered
498 Posts
hawkhero said:
Your pic is definitely showing something wrong.
You said in this 1st post that the fork cone sits all the way down.
Your sure it is all the way down onto the head of the fork?
This tends to suggest that you do not have the 36 degree tapered flange fork. If you did that cone would not sit all the way down on the fork.
Yes the frame has bearing races installed but this has nothing to do with the need for a cone or not.
Odd though the pic you show definitely has something holding it up from seating proper.
Is this the HSC4 fork?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fork came out of the box with the frame. The race is sitting as far as it can go.The bearing will go on the fork but has to be pressed for it to seat and then use a fork crown tool to remove it.With the bearing in the lower headtube there is about a 5mm gap to the end of the headtube. Fork works fine with the fork race installed,but the gap is a little strange.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It is ok to use the cone ring but......That ring should sit all the way down on the straight shoulder in your pic. Make sure you have the right ring & that it is all the way down. You may have to spread it where it is open or have a shop with the tool install it.
Good Luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.