Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently picked up a Miyata 916 that needs a new fork. What forks are available that would be comparable, or better then the original fork?

Can I buy a 1" threadless fork, and just have it cut, and threaded?

·
bike guy extraordinare
154 Posts
man bro, do what you can to find a compatible fork. what size is the frame? i went through a real deal to try and get a fork threaded. it aint worth the hassle. every one i called and talked to say they dont do it, only chase or clean up existing threads. they say you have to go to a frame builder to get it done. i have a couple of forks but no miyata. you just to search around. go to a bike shop that has been around for a while and see if they have something that will work and get it painted to match perhaps.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carbonite said:
man bro, do what you can to find a compatible fork. what size is the frame? i went through a real deal to try and get a fork threaded. it aint worth the hassle. every one i called and talked to say they dont do it, only chase or clean up existing threads. they say you have to go to a frame builder to get it done. i have a couple of forks but no miyata. you just to search around. go to a bike shop that has been around for a while and see if they have something that will work and get it painted to match perhaps.
Thanks for your response. I would guestimate it to be about a 58cm. I would measure it, but it is miles away at the moment. I will measure the steerer tube, next time I am at my storage unit.

It doesnt have to be a Miyata fork per say, I just dont want to put a peice of crap for on it. Hopeing for something that has Ishiwata, columbus, or reynolds tubing. The paint on this bike is in pretty bad shape, so I think I am going to have the frame, and whatever fork I get painted together. Is there any aftermarket forks that you know of that are decent? Here is an idea...I could go carbon fiber.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
threading ain't always easy and the tubing walls gotta be thick enough... best be is to look for used, lbs, the usual online places, maybe that dude in hungary

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FatTireFred said:
threading ain't always easy and the tubing walls gotta be thick enough... best be is to look for used, lbs, the usual online places, maybe that dude in hungary
I will keep looking for used. I am looking at new ones to though. I could get 1 inch threadless stem, the thompson 1 inch to 1 1/8th adapter, then a 1 1/8th stem too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, going carbon.

Ok, so I have had no luck finding a steel fork that I like for this bike, so I am going to go carbon.

Here is what I know so far. Measuring form the bottom of the bearing surface at the crown to the top of the steer tube is 7 3/8th". Which using google says is 187.325mm. I have no idea what the rake is supposed to be though, since the old fork is bent back a lot. Here is a link to the miyata catalog, which mentions off set. Is that the same as fork rake?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_whtVpXkKwlQ/R2CnzTQprvI/AAAAAAAAAnc/3CBst28ECSE/s1600-h/img307.jpg

So if it will work, I have narrowed it down to a threaded 1", with 200mm steer tube, and 43 degree rake (additional 15% off today) at Nashbar, or a Kinesis from ebay that is has a 300mm steer tube, and is not threaded, and 43 degree rake. I like the looks of the kinesis better, but it is not threaded, and I would have to get a different stem, and a 1 to 1 1/8th spacer, correct?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What happens if I increase, or decrease the rake. I know it will affect the handling, but if you have a higher number does that make it more twitchy, or always wanting to turn?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Miyata Rake / Offset 916, 914, 912

What happens if I increase, or decrease the rake. I know it will affect the handling, but if you have a higher number does that make it more twitchy, or always wanting to turn?
Miyata considers Rake and Offset to be the same. Increasing / decreasing rake should increase / decrease your wheelbase correspondingly. A longer wheelbase provides greater stability, a shorter wheelbase increases maneuvering / quick turning ability.

Vintage race bike wheelbases were typically at or under 990 mm (39 inches). Racers in groups (pelotons) will generally want quick maneuvering ability (shorter wheelbases). A longer wheelbase may be better suited to open road events such as a triathlon. [Sheldon Brown, Bicycling July 1985] https://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/pdfs/bstone6001985.pdf

In addition to changing the wheelbase, a curved fork rake is thought to add a level of shock absorption; thus a larger rake could add both stability and comfort

Miyata 916FrameOffset/RakeWheelbase
(Year not specified)50,5250975
(my guess 1993)54,56,5835975

<tbody>
</tbody>
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_whtVpXkKwlQ/R2CnzTQprvI/AAAAAAAAAnc/3CBst28ECSE/s1600-h/img307.jpg ;

Miyata 914FrameOffset/RakeWheelbase
(Also Team frame)4855980
198952, 54 . .50990
(50 & 60 omitted56, 5845995
for simplicity)63401000

<tbody>
</tbody>
https://www.miyatacatalogs.com/2007/12/miyata-catalog-1989.html

Miyata 912 . .Frame . .Offset/RakeWheelbase
60, 631025

<tbody>
</tbody>
Miyata Bicycle Catalogs: Miyata Catalog 1984

Lastly, with respect to forks, Nashbar offers a 1 inch threaded Carbon fork. Whatever replacement fork you buy, make sure the crown race spec matches that of your headset (eg. 26.4 mm or 27 mm).
( Nashbar Carbon 1-in Threaded Road Fork - Road Bike Forks)

(I know it's a old post, but my answer is meant to assist future internet queries)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts