Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an old rider, that is, I have ridden bikes since about 1966 (I was 4 years old). As a teenager I had a couple of 10 speed road bikes. Later on, I moved on to mountain bikes. I haven't ridden in about 15 years, so I am basically new to bikes again.

I bought a nice new frame (I think it's nice) at the flea market for $20.

It is all aluminum with an integral headset, removable derailleur hanger, V-brake/canti mounts, nice paint, etc.

I know it's less expensive to get a complete bike, but I want to build this one up myself.

I have been looking around for parts, mostly on eBay and I have decided to go with 700c wheels and a flat bar setup with AVID Single Digit 7 brakes and Avid Speed Dial 7 brake levers. I also have a new Veloce 52/42 crank with Campy sealed BB.

I am having difficulty deciding what fork to get. I need a 1 1/8 theadless steer tube and bosses for the V-brakes. I would love carbon, but can't afford them. All other steel forks with brake bosses are almost in my price range (about $50).

Is this a good fork for the money?
https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-700C-TOURI...ryZ56196QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$20 plus shipping is a nice price for me, but I am afraid they are crap, as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

Does anyone know of a good fork for about $50 or $60 dollars? I wouldn't mind used if it was in good condition. I have checked the online classifieds in my area, but nothing.

Thanks for letting me ramble on and thanks for the info,
Ian

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What about a Nashbar Steel 700c. It's only $40. I am a big guy, about 260lbs, will this hold up under my weight? By the way, I am not a racer or anything of the sort, I ride the road and trails in the woods near my house.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
frame type/size? Are you sure your frame is made for 700c wheels -- i.e., is it a road frame or a mtn frame? Canti bosses are a little unusual on road frames, except for cyclocross bikes. Make sure the rear of the frame will accept that wheel size before you invest in a fork.

No comment on that specific Nashbar fork, but when I built up a fixed-gear a few years ago (I found the frame for $5 at a garage sale), I bought a $25 steel Nashbar fork for it, and it's still going strong. I'm a good deal smaller than you, but in general steel forks have plenty of strength. Cheap ones are probably even stronger than expensive ones, because they're heavier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JCavilia said:
frame type/size? Are you sure your frame is made for 700c wheels -- i.e., is it a road frame or a mtn frame? Canti bosses are a little unusual on road frames, except for cyclocross bikes. Make sure the rear of the frame will accept that wheel size before you invest in a fork.
When I first looked at the frame and got it home, I also thought it was a mountain bike frame. But, it definitely takes 700c wheels. I went to the LBS and they checked with a wheel and it fit perfectly, the rim was about an inch or 1 1/2 above the brake bosses. When I put a 26" MTB wheel on, the rim was about 1/2 an inch below the brake bosses.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave_Stohler said:
You ain't never gonna fit 700C wheels on a frame sized for MTB 26" wheels.
Actually, it's made for 700C wheels. I put 26's on it and they were too small. I also put 700's on it and they fit perfectly.

Dave_Stohler said:
BTW, that's a very cheap Al frame. Nashbar sells 'em new for under $100.
Well, I'll take a look, I've been wanting to find out what make frame it is.

Edit: I looked at Nashbar's website and they didn't have any frames for under $100. They did have a cyclocross frame for $129.99, but that couldn't be the frame you were talking about because it's made for 700C wheels, and you said mine took 26's. Geesh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.