Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I dont know much about road bikes as I know about mountain bike, but I have Bianchi that came with a carbon/alum fork, I want to upgrade that fork, but I see that there are differents sizes and I dont know which one to get... There are some good deal out there on a Easton EC90 AERO carbon Road bike , but I dont know if will it fit or by the name if its only for those aero bikes.... I saw it for around $180 and it looks like a good deal

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
If you want to duplicate the fork that's on there, you need to know the rake and the length from the crown to the dropouts. You might be able to find those numbers for the Bianchi if you can find a diagram of the actual frame you have. Then, just compare to the aftermarket forks you're looking at. But, I think there's pretty consistent agreement that tiny differences probably won't make a difference you will notice. For instance, if the current rake is 45, and you put on a 44 or even a 43, that would probably be OK. There would be "theoretical" changes in the handling but (a) it might be something you actually want - like more responsive or more stable or (b) you wouldn't notice it unless you were really, really perceptive. Same with the length - a couple of mm is not going to make much of a difference (3 mm is a little less than 1/8 inch).

Oh, and one other thing: all threadless forks in the steer tube diameter you need (1" vs 1 1/8") will work regardless of whether your headset is integrated or not. However, there will be a difference in appearance, and you might want to match that factor (integrated vs. not). Some forks are made to be "universal" in that they kind of split the difference and look OK with either.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I may have missed it in this discussion, but make sure the Easton fork has the same diameter steerer tube as your OEM fork (1" or 1 1/8").

FWIW, all else being equal, a change of 5 mm's in axle to crown length changes HTA about .3 degrees.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
TT fork

mtbiker4ever said:
But isnn't that because its a aero fork means that it is a TIME TRIAL FORK??
That is not an issue. The only concern you might have is being sure that you have enough clearance for the tires you want to use. Even if it is a TT fork, if the geometry is right and you have tire clearance, that's all you need. There is no downside (and no real upside) in your case for a TT or aero fork.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts