Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've got a Giant OCR C3, medium, if size is an issue. When I've been transporting it in my pickup, I've just been laying it down in the bed. The bike is worth more than my truck, so I'd like to anchor it for transport, in case of an excessive maneuver or an accident. Is a fork mount safe, or is there a whole 'excessive lateral forces' argument or some such that says don't do it with carbon, it'll snap the fork, or something?

Is there a way to gauge proper tightness of a fork mount that's different than wheel skewer tightness?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
No personal experience, but I've seen it many times

Three friends with carbon forks clamp them often, but I dunno if they're well-informed or just lucky so far. As for the tightness, I think I might pad or file the contact points on the skewers so the sharp edges weren't grinding into my carbon. I'm thinking of gluing something like a little disc cut from an old tube to cushion the clamps a bit.

·
I'm just watching a dream
138 Posts
I have a Specialized Tarmac and I lock it's fork into my roof top Yak-Rack all the time. I drive a scooby wrx and I probably put more lateral force on the fork than needed. The only time I really take it easy is if I'm going over a bump (train tracks or whatnot) that isn't perpendicular with the road. Also, I'm not sure but I think the OCR has alloy drops on the fork, if so just tighten away like you would a wheel. I've never heard of anyone having problems with forks breaking during normal driving while in a lock. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
590 Posts
38Chevy said:
All,

I've got a Giant OCR C3, medium, if size is an issue. When I've been transporting it in my pickup, I've just been laying it down in the bed. The bike is worth more than my truck, so I'd like to anchor it for transport, in case of an excessive maneuver or an accident. Is a fork mount safe, or is there a whole 'excessive lateral forces' argument or some such that says don't do it with carbon, it'll snap the fork, or something?

Is there a way to gauge proper tightness of a fork mount that's different than wheel skewer tightness?

Thanks,
Steve
you're worrying too much.

you trust that carbon fork to carry however much you weigh, screaming down a hill at 40mph, but you don't trust it attached to a fork mount that is little more than a quick release?

clamp it down within a reasonable amount of effort and go. you don't think yakima/thule would make a fork mount that would ruin a bike, would you?

·
Registered
589 Posts
The big risk is that you won't clamp it tight enough, and the bike will fall over, bending the drop out. I wouldn't put any kind of soft padding on the clamp because it might reduce the holding force of the clamp. If the fork has tabs on the dropouts to hold the wheel if the quick release isn't tightened, I would leave them also.

em

1 - 6 of 6 Posts