Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my fork on my Giant Bowery to a Carbon Fiber fork. What is the size of the fork? I want to buy from Ebay or RoadBike Review, but I need to know the proper size. I checked the Giant website, but no dice. Any Bowery owners done this? Thanks in advance.

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
kramerj said:
It is a standard 1.125 inch steerer tube on the bowery but you might have a bit of difficulty finding a new fork to swap because of the integrated headset it has
Yes and No... Yes: the Giant comes with a 1 1/8 inch standard fork... No: You can use any 1 1/8 inch fork with any type of 1 1/8 inch headset.

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
1" steerer tubes work with 1" Headsets.

1 1/8" steerer tubes work with 1 1/8" Headsets.

The Giant Bowery requires the use of a 1 1/8" steerer tube. Any fork with a 1 1/8" steerer tube will work with your Giant. There aren't any integrated stems with the 1 1/8" standard. All of these stems bolt on to an exposed piece of steerer tube that sits above the frame. Integrated steerer/stems died with 1" steerer tubes (although you can still find a few new bikes with this standard).

Park Tools have a little more info on what's involved if you want to swap the fork over yourself. The biggest hurdles are the Crown Race and installing a star-fangled-nut (if the fork is new), If the steerer tube is made of carbon fibre, you will need an Expander (as CF is too delicate for a normal nut, unless it's a Cannondale fork).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.