Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Alpha Q CX20 fork (uncut) on one of my cyclocross bikes and am looking to cut the steer tube as I have ~25-30mm of spacers on top of the stem. The fork has a 4" aluminum insert epoxied into the very top of the steer tube to help with clamping forces and some say this fork cannot be cut. Wouldn't it be possible to cut through both the carbon steer tube and aluminum insert using a carbon saw blade? Maybe even make a complete cut all the way around through the carbon and use the standard Park saw to get through the remaining aluminum?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
you can't do that with that fork. Because of the wall thickness (or lack of) of the carbon steerer, you need the full 4" insert. The only option is to cut below the insert (taking more than 4" off) and then using a new insert. There are discussions of this on other sites:

Cutting a used Alpha Q CX20 fork?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks- I did see that thread but there didn't seem to be a consensus (one mentioned that you can take up to 1" off). I guess to me it just doesn't make much sense as I'd be taking ~1" off the top and there'd still be plenty of insert left for my stem and spacers. Additionally, the insert would still extend down past the headset.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.