Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,594 Posts
CleavesF said:
1) Rake is overrated much like crankarm length.

2) Aero works for crits and such. It's just a different shape of the same material. It's not going to explode... okay maybe it will it's carbon!
wow...that sounds like excellent advice. i'm sure that fork manufacturers just offer rake options because they have nothing better to do w/ their time. same with crank arm length, i'm pretty sure everyone from a 5'0" tall woman to a 6'6" guy should all use 175's...or was it 165's? oh well, i'm sure it doesn't matter.
i'm also pretty sure that aero forks are meant for time trials. as long as the fork you're looking at is pretty much the same height from the crown to the axle, and the rake is within a mm or 2 you should be just fine. any more than that and you may notice a slight difference in how the bike handles, but that's usually not a big deal. if you search for 'rake/trail' you should find a good explanation for how it works. generally, steeper head tube angles use less rake or offset, and slacker head tube angles use more rake to acheive the same trail.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,594 Posts
i completely agree w/ applesauce...whether anyone cares or not can probably be related to a specific fork rake or the fact that i ride 170mm crank arms on the road, but 167.5 on the track.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts