Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crashed at 18mph, and get a weird clicking sound from the fork when I turn, sprint, et cetera - when the bike isn't straight up and down there's a hollow 'knocking' sound. Teammate recently commented on how wide the fork was in the dropouts. Considering that it's CF, I'm scared to death of the thing. Examined the fork and found that the CF is slightly... warped? there are undulations in the middle of the left leg, where there should not be.
Basically, it's time for a new fork. What do you guys recommend, <$400 preferably, for a 700C (er, duh, but just in case) wheel? I want relatively light, and stiff of course, however lightness is not a 100% priority, as anything will be an upgrade. Rake I need is 44mm, and 1 1/8 steerer. It's for a race bike, not a touring bike, so a disk brake mount is compltely unnecesary.
I was looking at the Alpha Q Sub 3, what do you guys think of that, and what other forks are worth looking into, what good experiences, and what bad experiences have you had?
-estone2

·
Registered
44 Posts
the Alpha Sub Q is a good stiff light weight work. The Reynolds Ouzo Pro too.
Some depends on how much you weigh as you'll get a different experience than some folks. The Easton EC 90 superlite is great light weight fork but for my 165lbs I found it a bit whippy.

most forks have a range of rakes available in the same model.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hardride27 said:
the Alpha Sub Q is a good stiff light weight work. The Reynolds Ouzo Pro too.
Some depends on how much you weigh as you'll get a different experience than some folks. The Easton EC 90 superlite is great light weight fork but for my 165lbs I found it a bit whippy.

most forks have a range of rakes available in the same model.
Ah, yeah I'm stupid for forgetting to give my info
biek's a 58cm Trek 1200
I'm 145 pounds, 5'9, and ride at around 20mph comfortably. Lately I haven't been training so taht dropped down to 18mph for a bit, but I paniced (is that a word?) when I saw that so I've been doing a lot of work to get back to my old self, and today i did a 25 mile ride at 22mph, so I think I'm getting back to myself

·
here comes trouble
10,049 Posts
estone2 said:
it's summer. I had a feeling it was panicked. But I didn't want to throw in random consonants.
Weren't you complaining about being in one of those way super advanced high school programs not long ago? Don't they teach you how to spell basic words in these kinds of things? :p

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
paint said:
Weren't you complaining about being in one of those way super advanced high school programs not long ago? Don't they teach you how to spell basic words in these kinds of things? :p
eets sahmmur! spelling=out the window
aimspeak! screw even using tenses. :p. Plus i had just gotten home from a 45 mile ride at 23mph avg. I was having trouble talking :p
-estone2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.