Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Formula 1 2009: Anyone watching? (spoilers as well)

I totally forgot it was today and missed the live qualifying session but they're showing the repeat telecast now.

The new cars look fugly in the tail end of the car IMO, with what looks like a shriveled up excuse of a rear wing now with the new rule changes.

McLaren looks super fugly at the tail end. The Force India car actually looks pretty decent with their design.

Who's following it this year?

I love the Brawn cars! Slick!!! And they seem to be firing today. Nice to see if they can keep this up.

The new KERS system - Kinetic Energy Recovery System. It essentially gives a 'turbo' boost of up to 6 seconds per lap so to speak but not everyone is running this system for whatever reason.

Robert Kubica isn't coz it makes his car too heavy but his teammate is running it. Possible handicap in the same team already?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Anybody know what the crazy new drivers champ point rules are?

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
A lot of news was made about Montreal loosing F1, but really, Bernie is just a greedy bugger who demanded way too much from the Montreal group and the local govt. Most people back home just shrugged their shoulders and agreed that it wasn't worth keeping at the price Ecclestone and his band of merry men were asking to keep F1 in Montreal. Go riddence.
Montreal is great course and there are other racing consortiums interested in coming.

·
M Sport
111 Posts
DVR'd it last nite. Won't be able to watch until Sunday evening. I haven't paid any attention off season, so I'm clueless to all the new rules and teams. Just got dvr a few months ago. Should be able to see them all this year now.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new rules are pretty crappy IMO.

Most wins gets the championship - that would make it competitive, yes, but, it could also end the season early like halfway through maybe even.

Some teams peak early and get into the groove while some take a few races etc. So...

I liked the Montreal race for it's high speeds and the sharp turn at the wall that cause a few crashes. Interesting race but too bad it's gone.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some pictures of this year's cars:

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
uzziefly said:
The new rules are pretty crappy IMO.

Most wins gets the championship - that would make it competitive, yes, but, it could also end the season early like halfway through maybe even.

Some teams peak early and get into the groove while some take a few races etc. So...

I liked the Montreal race for it's high speeds and the sharp turn at the wall that cause a few crashes. Interesting race but too bad it's gone.
uhh, they didn't change the rules, the same point system as last year is in place.

Also, I actually love the look of the Mclarens at the back of the field, that's what you meant right. Now we'll see what Hamilton can do without the best or nearly best car. He's good, but very lucky to arrive at Mclaren when he did.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SteveCnj said:
uhh, they didn't change the rules, the same point system as last year is in place.

Also, I actually love the look of the Mclarens at the back of the field, that's what you meant right. Now we'll see what Hamilton can do without the best or nearly best car. He's good, but very lucky to arrive at Mclaren when he did.
I thought it was implemented? I read it in the papers the other day and Lewis was sharing the same sentiments I mentioned. Guess they didn't in the end? Hmm...

I've come to a point where I don't bother reading the rule changes and just watch the race and wait for Steve Slater to explain them just because they keep changing all too often.

Nope, I meant, the tail end of the car, as you can see from the picture post I added. No good resolution McLaren shots so I didn't put em up.

I think the McLarens would step up in time, as they always do anyway towards the mid point of the season.

He's very good I must say. I mean, his results in GP2 were excellent but many have such credentials. The difference is that, he delivers in F1 immediately and if you're not a good driver, even a great car won't do much. There are many times you've seen him make the McLaren look better than it actually is IMO with his handling and smooth racing.

A little fiery personality at times but hey, he's young and that's usually the case with several young guys in sports anyway (in general I mean. Look at Rooney's temperament in soccer. Erm, a few other soccer players too at around his age)

I'm sure he'd do well in even a Force India car, BUT, only as well as the car allows of course if it goes to that extreme a step down.

It should be a good year indeed. I'm a new fan of the Brawn team - I dig the car and suits, I like the drivers from before anyway and it's nice to see another team dish it out too.

I'm still rooting for Ferrari in the end though!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Watching qualifying on DVR right now. The new rear wings are kinda silly looking but those new front wings are UGLY!!

I think the new "most wins" system is designed to make the races more dramatic (that is assuming that they actually do it). More drivers taking chances at the end of the race. Along with the KERS system, this could lead to a reduction in the number of "processional" races where drivers just tour around the track in order for the whole race.

It's going to be an interesting season whether or not it works. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ross Brawn's team can do.

PS - Bring back Montreal!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Just watched qualifying. Wow, from last year to this is like a Saturday night sprint car race where they invert the field. Last years champ not even going out in Q2. It was good to see Sir Richard Branson in the pits. I think I'm going to be a Brawn fan this year.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The cars look somewhat like they did when they were turbo'd... the front wings are ugly!!!

And funny how Honda starts looking good after they sell the team... lolololololol

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
jsedlak said:
The cars look somewhat like they did when they were turbo'd... the front wings are ugly!!!

And funny how Honda starts looking good after they sell the team... lolololololol
With a Mercedes engine. No Honda left in that car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts