Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods:

I know this probably belongs in the Regional section, but that area doesn't get much traffic on a regular basis and I know there are quite a few Fort Worth area people on this message board. If it wasn't such short notice I would have posted it a little more properly (either regional or commuter) but since it affects Recreational riders as well as commuters I thought I would post it here mainly for the sake of visibility. I'm not a member of the LMRA Cycling club, but I've ridden with many of them and have enjoyed it each time.

This is a cross post from a cross post from another forum:

LMRA Bicycle Club invites you to join us at important city meeting.
What:
City of Fort Worth Bike Route Working Group
When:
6pm Wednesday, the 29th of March
Where:
Pre Council Meeting Room 2nd Floor City Hall, see MAP.
Why:
Your involement shows community interest in cyclists needs

The Agenda:
... Intro; Briefing on 1999 Bike Route Plan (yes it is behind); Current Status Update; New Topics

Background:
... Last year John A., Kyle C, and Jim W. attended a series of Ft Worth Intermodal Transportation Meetings to represent LMRA Bicycle Club.
The Mobility & Air Quality (MAQ) Study (city funded outside consultant study) looked at coming transportation issues, alternate transportation, and adding 300 miles of bicycle routes. The map of these planned 60 miles can be seen in LMRA Bicycle Club Photo Gallery HERE.
... Of 300 miles of bike routes, 60 were planned for immediate addition, (signs every 1/2 mile with decal markings on the road between each sign). Federal funding of the 1st 60 miles make dollar figures of $60K (Ft Worth) - $140K (Federal) as reported to LMRABC by FW Senior Planner of Transportation & Public Works.
... Short-comings: The original Ft Worth Senior Planner involved is no longer employed by the city, the bicycle routes have yet to be started, and we're informed by FW Planner, "... the street decals need location identification plans for approximately 240 locations. I have requested the Department of Engineering provide a quote. I do not have a dollar figure at this time." Budget for engineering survey of exact placement of these decals was not part of the original budget... missed in the original planning.
... LMRA Bicycle Club Council contacted the new Senior Planner in charge on behalf of club to ask for specifics on the delay of 1st 60 miles of Bicycle Routes; some information was provided, other is still being researched, and this subsequent City Meeting is now scheduled.

The Need:
... You! Interested participants to show community interest.
... Numbers; As only local club represented before we need our club members, other clubs, cyclists, everyone.
... Everyday cyclists have motorists yell some phrase about not belonging on the roadway. The more signs, "bike routes", saying you do belong... the better.
... LMRA Bicycle Club will work to promote participation in this and subsequent meetings by all. Please bring a guest, tell a friend, ask the rider next to you!

The Future:
... There are more meetings coming on similar topics, we'll look for participation there too.
...... The 121 extension, the Bellaire Rd connections, and possible removal of some current bicycle lanes could dramatically effect all our riding activities.
...... Bicycle route along Benbrook Winscott Rd.

Bottom line:
... We need true show of force... unified voice... numbers are power
... Please contact LMRA Bicycle Club at [email protected] for any additional information.
Map of the meeting location: http://lmrabicycleclub.com/gallery/v/club+pics_001/city+hall+map.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Chris H said:
Mods:

I know this probably belongs in the Regional section, but that area doesn't get much traffic on a regular basis and I know there are quite a few Fort Worth area people on this message board. If it wasn't such short notice I would have posted it a little more properly (either regional or commuter) but since it affects Recreational riders as well as commuters I thought I would post it here mainly for the sake of visibility. I'm not a member of the LMRA Cycling club, but I've ridden with many of them and have enjoyed it each time.

This is a cross post from a cross post from another forum:

Map of the meeting location: http://lmrabicycleclub.com/gallery/v/club+pics_001/city+hall+map.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
All states have Pedestrian and Bicycle Coordinators in their Depts of Transportation. You might see if you can get their help. If some of your 60 miles are on State vs City/County roads they may be able to help.

Good luck

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
TX reference

Here's the info on the TX bike/ped coordinator

Paul Douglas
Bicycle & Pedestrian Coordinator
Texas Department of Transportation
125 E 11th St
Austin TX 78701-2483
512-416-2342; Fax 512-416-2348
E-mail: [email protected]

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main reason for posting this is for show of strength. Last year when they had this meeting there were only a dozen or so cyclist, but it was the majority specialty group present. That helped determine and sway some opinions our way. The goal is to have the same thing happen this year, but with bigger numbers. They've got the budget (mostly) and they're trying to decide how to divvy it up. The more cyclist that show up pushes more of that money our way from the Intermodal Transportation Group.

Kerry, thanks for the info... but the planning is on a city level. I didn't get to attend last year, couldn't get off work. So I don't know exactly who all is represented, meaning I don't know if anyone on a state level is represented or not. I know as a road cyclist and a commuter I would like to have my presence made though. I would love to see dedicated cycling lanes in more areas of this city, and this seems to be the best chance to steer things in that direction.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The meeting is tomorrow night!

Shameless bump to hopefully get a few Fort Worth people to go to the meeting.

A group of us are meeting at the LBS (Panther City Bikes on Magnolia) and are riding over together and going to the Flying Saucer afterwards for a beer or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts