Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GP4000S II has many fans and "best of" awards behind them.

The Performance Forte brand LCR tire has pretty much none except a few biased reviews on the order page: Forté LCR Road Tire

The Chinese made Forte tire costs about half the Conti when both on sale. As an everyday training tire would you ride the Forte? Gonna go on 23mm wide (external) rims, purely training, butyl tube, 160 pound rider.

Or is this a case of you get what you pay for?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
My take on this is life is too short to waste it riding around on 2nd best tires - just to save a few dollars. I went with arguably one of the finest out there (Vittoria OpenCorsa Evo CX - I don't know what their current top tire is called) and stocked up when I found them on sale at Ribble in the UK for $33 each.

The ride, at the correct pressures for me, is sublime and I get 2500-3000 miles out of the rear one.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,076 Posts
My take on this is life is too short to waste it riding around on 2nd best tires - just to save a few dollars. I went with arguably one of the finest out there (Vittoria OpenCorsa Evo CX - I don't know what their current top tire is called) and stocked up when I found them on sale at Ribble in the UK for $33 each.

The ride, at the correct pressures for me, is sublime and I get 2500-3000 miles out of the rear one.
Headsup, today is a good day to stock up....700x23 are $25 each today ;)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,076 Posts
That's good if 23's are wanted. Not me!
More for me then ;)

4 tires for $100USD shipped, suck that Amazon and PerformanceBike.

·
Banned
907 Posts
The Chinese made Forte tire costs about half the Conti when both on sale.

Or is this a case of you get what you pay for?
All of my Forte tubes and tires say Made In Taiwan. :) I have used them almost exclusively since I started riding and weighed over 215 pounds. They are thin and get puncture flats easily. I have nothing else to compare them to in that regard. But they are some of the lightest tires and tubes made anywhere. So, if you are climbing hills or mountains, yes, you get what you pay for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts