Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often see people out on training rides around here (Lemon Valley) but I don`t know if any RBR readers do it- here it is anyway `cause it opens up a few nice options for riders comming north:
Some of the new development spreading towards the Bonanza from Golden Valley has now connected with the newest subdivisions in Panther Valley, allowing a paved alternative to cutting through Raleigh Heights or going around to Sun Valley. Going North on N. Virginia St, turn right at the last signal into Panther Valley. Either take the right fork and go under the freeway or take the left and cut over when it runs into the little park, both ways will get you to Chisolm Trail. It goes into some new houses and changes into Opal Station, which winds through more new houses and comes out on Golden Valley Rd just above the new high school. From there, you can go right to Sun Valley or left to Lemon Valley, Stead, Redrock or whatever. The route is slightly longer than Raleigh Heights, steadier climb rather than the sudden nasty hill below the 7-11, and very peaceful since it goes through residential neighborhoods instead of the industrial stuff and construction further up on Old Virginia. Looks like it`s been open fro a few years, but I just saw it yesterday from a mtb ride above Sun Valley and took my commuter through there today to make sure it was what it looked like.

Since I`m here running my mouth (keyboard), there are some other routes around here that I personally like better than the roads where I generally see other bikers. Maybe people like Lemon Drive, Military Rd and Old Virginia but I kind of think they just don`t realize there are options. From Golden Valley, North Hills Blvd now connects to LV Drive at the Scholaris (you probably did know that). Continuing straight from there, parallel the freeway, the road winds through some new neighborhoods and connects with Silver Lake (the road where the first signal is in Stead) and has some fun, though mostly useless bikepaths wandering around and a little duck pond that draws a lot of different migratory birds. If you don`t take Silver Lake to Stead, the main road ties into the middle of Military Rd and can be used to evade some of the skinniest, traffickiest sections of Military. Also much smoother pavement than Military. And just in case it escaped your notice, Lemon Drive was extended earlier this year to Old Virginia. Hope somebody who rides this area can make use of this post somehow. Happy pedalling.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I'll have to look at Google Earth on this. I don't ride up that way often enough to know that names that well. But anything that keeps me out of doing the majority of Sun Valley is a good thing IMO. :)

Another new one (or relatively) that I've been doing as an alternative to 4th Street/Mogul is to ride all the way through Somerset to the Club House and down and out into Verdi. The road is now paved through and unless the construction crew yells at you (hasn't yet, but haven't ridden it in a month or so) you can ride all the way down to the bike path just short of the Verdi off ramp. Nice alternative to the usual flat 4th street ride.

It's funny how these new routes keep popping up. Half the time I don't even know which roads are being extended or connected. Just find out by happenstance.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is that an alternative to the bike path or an alternative way to reach it?

Down your way, any chance you know an alternative to 395 for getting from Reno to Washoe Valley? I tried the old Joy Lakes thing, but got turned around at a gated subdivision- not sure whether I had the route wrong or there isn`t a public access through there anymore.

EDIT: Do you ride Sun Valley to the other North Valleys by preference or because that`s the route you know?

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I ride the Sun Valley route only because that's the way I've always done it. I've never really taken the time to find an alternate route.

The Somerset route is sort of an alternative to the bike path but only if you want to add miles and altitude. I really like it. We take the right turn off of 4th Street that heads up under I-80 past the new fire station. We then get on Sommerset and follow it all the way around to Verdi. It's a very fun and hilly ride with only light residential traffic.

I commute to Carson City from my house off of Geiger Grade. I have looked at every possible alternative to riding 395 through Pleasant Valley and haven't been able to find anything. All the roads on the east side of 395 deadend, and the only viable route off of 431 Mt. Rose Highway is now blocked by security gates. I actually am able to get through there as I must look like a rider that lives there. They call me Mr. Rawley and apologized profusely for stopping me there a couple of months ago. Not sure who Mr. Rawley is and haven't tried using my new alias for over a month. Anyway, I've been pretty much stuck with riding along 395 or if I have an extra hour or so I can go up and over Geiger. Either way it's the sux.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, Rawley- you must really rack up some miles. That probably explains all those Himalayan style climbs you post on the Commuting and Ride Reports forum. I just looked at Google Earth. Pretty much all the roads show up even if they weren`t paved when the pics were snapped. The Panther Valley-Golden Valley connection shows up too, but looks like an undeveloped dirt road. For what it`s worth, I always figured that Old Virginia was the "standard" way to bike to the north valleys. If you ever care to try it, it also takes off from N. Virginia at that last light before the freewy, about a half mile above the Bonanza. Right to Panther Valley, left to Raleigh Heights- the rest of the route options show up on Google. Thanks for the Sommerset tip- unbelieveable what`s been going on out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.