Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feeling lazy compared to the Tour riders, I got myself out there for the 40 minutes before dark and got in ten miles.

This is my quick ten-mile out-and-back route. On the way back, I see that someone has set a guitar stand out by the curb. The plaim old metal stick type, tripod with lower "u" below body and upper "U" for neck.

Here, setting something of potential value out by the curb is an international symbol for "go ahead and take it."

Well, I circled back real quick, looked it over, and jammed it awkwardly down the back of my jersey. Hey, I am not too proud!

I was hoping most people seeing me would think I had some weird kind of selfie stick and was trying to film my ride, with the tripod coming over my head. I did make it home in one piece, and so was the guitar stand.

My wife laughed but was happy - we are short on guitar stands and this one was fine. She wanted to get a pic, but I was too tired and just wanted the thing out of my jersey.

So, what have you found lately while on the ride? Anything good enough to take home?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
This year, I'm not in the summer shape I generally try to be. So all I've found so far is a sweaty azz, tired legs and disappointing mileage.

·
Super Moderator
40,806 Posts
I'm always finding tools on my rides.

^not kode.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Puffball mushrooms. Stuffed them in my jersey and CamelBak after a trail ride. They're smaller than soccerballs, but larger than softballs.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
"lately"? not a damn thing.

but over the years, all kinds of little things. two pocketknives come to mind.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
I once found a bag marked "Property of D.B. Cooper", but I figured that the owner would be back to get it, so I left it.

PS. I once found a wet $20 bill.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I haven't found anything. But a nice rider found my sunglasses I had dropped. They placed them on a bench by the trail so I could find them easier.
I took them off during a rest and hooked them on my front cables. I took off and forgot about them. A couple miles down the trail I thought I heard something drop off my bike. I didn't notice anything so continued riding. It took about another mile to notice my missing glasses.

·
Registered
396 Posts
*cracks fingers*
9 mm Craftsman socket
14mm Snap-On socket
9/16" Duralast socket
3/8" socket (placed this on the person's car, as they are constantly wrenching)
SOG Fielder pocket knife
Folding ruler
Ford keys
RVCA hat
ZTE Android phone
2 sets of house keys that I placed on the curb instead of on the street, hoping it would be easier to find for whoever dropped them.

That sums it up for now... :)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Funny the timing of this thread. I was skipping it because I have never really found anything on a ride. At least not anything I wanted to keep.

Then, today, I had some time for a lunch ride at work, and decided to take the 'lunch bike' to check out a brand new trail that goes part way over the 520 bridge in Seattle. The trail doesn't go all the way across yet (next spring), so it's just an out and back and 2/3 the way across the floating bridge.

I rode out to the end and stopped to take a few pictures. I noticed something on the ground at my feet, and looked down to find a $20 bill sitting there. No one else around. I hadn't seen anyone else on the ride out. SCORE!

It's like I found a pot of gold at the end of the trail!

And a really nice view on the way back !

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
as i wrote before, i haven't found anything lately. but i lost $20 on the 520 bridge today. if anyone finds it, pm me. thanks!

B^)

Reactions: jetdog9

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sure thing.

Just give me the S/N and postage for overnight shipping, plus $15 handling fee and I'll send it back to you. :)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Sure thing.

Just give me the S/N and postage for overnight shipping, plus $25 handling fee and I'll send it back to you. :)
Fixed that for you. Money lesson #1: you don't intentionally trade $20 for $15.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wasn't really a trade. It was found money, and I was still making a profit.

Plus, I wasnt actually planning on sending it back.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I rode out to the end and stopped to take a few pictures. I noticed something on the ground at my feet, and looked down to find a $20 bill sitting there. No one else around. I hadn't seen anyone else on the ride out. SCORE!

I only find money while walking. Have probably ridden past lots of cash though!

Just found $5 Canadian in the store on Friday during lunch, but didn't spot any Canadians.

Most I found was around $65, while at a ski resort, walking around with John. Nobody seemed to be looking for it so we made good use of it (that's about the cost of two hot chocolates at a ski resort).

Also found a $20 on the sidewalk, while walking to the Laundromat one evening years ago, that was sweet. :thumbsup:

Maybe if people knew how much cash is on the sidewalks, they'd drive less? :idea: Meh, no sense in telling them! :p

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Funny the timing of this thread. I was skipping it because I have never really found anything on a ride. At least not anything I wanted to keep.

Then, today, I had some time for a lunch ride at work, and decided to take the 'lunch bike' to check out a brand new trail that goes part way over the 520 bridge in Seattle. The trail doesn't go all the way across yet (next spring), so it's just an out and back and 2/3 the way across the floating bridge.

*snipped photos*

It's like I found a pot of gold at the end of the trail!

*snipped photo*

And a really nice view on the way back !
Man, I miss Seattle. Will never move back though, wife is not rain tolerant. I've only taken 520 once which was by accident since they started tolls there. Bike path across the bridge sounds awesome!

The one time I did the Downieville Classic on my MTB, I was so exhausted towards the end that I was happy to find that many riders had lost completely unopened Gu packets from all of the bumps on the trail. Must have scored 3-4 and eaten them all.

Once on my road bike in Livermore I rode over a bridge, looked down, and saw a 2 foot long trout swimming around in calm shallow water. I rode back home and immediately returned (in car) with rod and reel, but did not manage to catch the fish.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I recently found a small tool pouch with a tape measure, rafter square, and razor knife.

A while back I went by a free 4 man tent complete with pack. I grabbed it and rode a couple hundred yards and hid it in the bushes. the next day when I was driving near the area, I went and picked it up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts